We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location and which Hotel

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Location and which Hotel

Thinking of making a trip to Nica either in Feb or March. Was thinking of staying at Pelican Eyes in SJDS for 5 nights. Would like to explore Granada, Massa and Apoyo too. Can this be done by two day trips (renting a car)? Or would it make more sense to stay 2 or 3 nights in Granada?

We don't plan to do a lot of stuff at SJDS - just like the resort. So comes the next question, is 5-days too long at SJDS if we don't do too many water sports?

The Hotels we are considering in Granada are Hotel Plaza Colon and La Gran Francia - any comments? Lastly, how are these compared to Pelican Eyes - so we can just skip Pelican Eyes and stay in Granada for the whole trip and maybe a day trip to SJDS.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,563 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location and which Hotel

We spent three nights in San Juan del Sur, right in town at La Posada Azul. We loved the place. Frankly, though, two nights would have been enough.

We then spent four nights in Granada at Casa San Francisco, which we really enjoyed as well. We easily could have spent another day or two in Granada.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location and which Hotel

I think you should spend a night or two in Granada. It's really a very cool place and I think you would like it. We spent 5 nights there last year and did a day trip to Masaya market and volcano. We liked the market so much we went back the next day on our own. Like Jeanh we stayed at Casa San Francisco and would certainly recommend it to anyone. Enjoy!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location and which Hotel

I'm making my first trip to Nicaragua this summer. I'm not actually staying at Pelican Eyes, but I did notice that luxurylink.com has great specials for that place. Just thought I'd share since you mentioned you might stay there.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location and which Hotel

Thanks for all the replies. Picked Pelican Eyes because of the LL deal which is why it will have to be for 5 days or none. It is a good deal and a nice place thus the reason for day trips. More interested in Granada area than SJDS.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location and which Hotel

We only had five days, so it was a tough decision to make whether to spend all our time in Granada or go to San Juan Del Sur, or even Ometepe or other places. Eventually the idea of visiting Masaya volcano, the market there, and enjoying Granada (I'm big into Colonial churches and the like) won out. I don't regret skipping San Juan Del Sur -- I'm not much of a beach guy, and some folks here say it's pretty overrun with tourists.

If Granada appeals more to you, I'm not sure why you'd locate yourself in San Juan Del Sur. There are plenty of great hotels in Granada, and they're quite competitive on price. We only spent $60 a night for the Casa San Francisco, and that was with breakfast AND during Easter week (high season).

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location and which Hotel

If you are planning to do none or few activities in SJDS i recommend better to stay in Plaza Colon and do day trips to the Area.

Granada city tour,boat trip or Kayak on lake Nicaragua, Mombacho cloud forrest , Canopy tour on Mombacho cloud forrest,

Masaya active volcano, Coyotepe fortress, Masaya city and artcraft market, white towns, Apoyo crater lake for a swim.

Then a night in SJDS in a cheaper accommodation than Pelican so you have a good deal.

I like better plaza Colon over la Gran francia and they are old colonial complete different from pelican that is a new building and beach style resort.

Byron

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location and which Hotel

Thanks again for all the input. Leaning towards Plaza Colon and skipping SJDS.

8. Re: Location and which Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 06:17