We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

Does anyone know how many bottles of alcohol you can bring into the country? We are staying in a house and have been told to bring as much with us as possible. Just looking to save time and money!

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

I believe it's a gallon to US. I brought two 1.75 and one 750 ML. of Flor de Cana rum back the last time. Had to throw away clothes to make room, but I have my priorities!

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

Thanks for the update. As you can see we have our priorities as well!! We are actually wondering how much you can bring into Nicaragua per person.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

Why would you want to bring it in? Don't you like really great rum?

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

Sure! I am sure we will experience all of the local flavor, we just are in a house for 2 weeks and last year in Costa Rica we spent a fortune on alcohol and are just trying to cut down on cost.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

To start this is not Costa Rica so that mean that the price will be half of what you pay there and before getting into the house that you will stay you can talk to your transportation guy to stop on a Supermarket and buy there for rally god prices

Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

Unfortunately I'm not a rum drinker .... so I'd like to bring in some of my own (Cdn rye whiskey) .... so, does anyone know how much you can bring in? Or do you know if you can get rye in the supermarkets?

On that note ... what is the wine like in Nic?

Edited: 19 January 2013, 00:54
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

A link to duty free into Nicaragua- worldtravelguide.net/nicaragua/money-duty-fr…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

into Costa Rica it is 5l per person

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

It is much cheaper to bring alcohol into Nic than it is to buy there. We are renting a big house as well and that's what we are doing. Local beer is cheap so you can but it there.

I understand the wine is decent in Nicaragua.

And yes, 5L of alcohol is what you can bring in.

10. Re: Alcohol/Duty Restrictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 04:15