We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corn Island or SJDS

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Corn Island or SJDS

How nice are the beaches near SJDS? the sand, water....

i know its a beach town but when I think of beach town I think of grey sand choppy water....

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corn Island or SJDS

Beaches north and south of SJDS are nice, but the Caribbean is something else entirely. As in fantastic! The beach at the bay of SJDS is just so-so IMO. Have fun either (or both!) ways.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,612 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corn Island or SJDS

Agree that pretty half moon bay you see in the photos is picturesque but a closer look it is pretty trashy. Hermosa Beach lives up to its name and Playa Maderas is very pretty. If you surf then areas around SJDS if you want diving, pretty turquoise waters, then Little Corn.

I have been to both and liked them both but I do not care all that much for the town of SJDS though I am older than the average traveler there. Very much a back pack crowd. The first time we stayed in town 2 nights and left for Playa Maderas, Buena Vista Surf Camp, loved it! Last time we skipped town all together and stay at the Surf Camp.

Kind of depends on what you want.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 02:07
Great Falls...
Level Contributor
95 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corn Island or SJDS

Totally depends on what you're in to they're not antipodes but they are quite different.

SJDS - in and of itself is not beautiful - you can't swim at the beach right there, you'd have to arrange for transport (can hire your own crewed yacht for <$200 p/day) or taxi to some beautiful beaches all within 30-60minutes of SJDS. Waves are larger, no coral, water temp is much cooler ~75-82 and different overall vibe...backpacker/surfer.

Corn Islands = undiscovered Caribbean - incredibly beautiful water, coral (i.e. great snorkeling/scuba), water temp bath water warm ~86-92, overall vibe off the beaten path but from backpacker to relatively refined.

You could certainly do both within a week...fly in to Managua and out the same day to Corn Islands...spend 3-4 nights there. Fly back to Managua xfer over to SDJS spend 3-4 nights there...fly home. Get the best of both sides!

Düsseldorf
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corn Island or SJDS

The beaches on Corn Island are totally different to the ones in San Juan del Sur. Corn Island has Caribbean beaches with palm trees, fruit trees, black people. The Pacific site is much more developed and the beaches are wider and good for surfing. The Caribbean beaches are good for kitesurfing.

If you want to try Corn Island, go to Big Corn and stay in Hotel BELLAVISTA (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g612405-d208266…) or http://www.bellavistacaribe.com .

To fly there lacostena.com.ni is the webpage. Or you go by boat: http://www.bellavistacaribe.com/travel/ferry/

Good luck!

Edited: 24 February 2013, 15:47
5. Re: Corn Island or SJDS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:17