We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights on Ometepe or SJDS?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights on Ometepe or SJDS?

My sisters and I (ages 35, 32, 22) are traveling to Nicaragua and Costa Rica in August, flying into Managua and out of San Jose. We have 3 nights booked in Granada (including the day of arrival) and would like to spend two additional nights in Nica before crossing the border into Costa Rica. Since we are planning to end the vacation with 3 nights on the beach in Manuel San Antonio, I was leaning towards spending the two nights on Ometepe versus on the beach in SJDS. I was thinking that a remote island may be more unique than a charming beach town. Is there anything about SJDS that we shouldn't miss, or is there another stop all together that I haven't considered?

Thanks.

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
49 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights on Ometepe or SJDS?

Both are good choices as they move you towards Costa Rica. One thing to remember about Ometepe is that you have to take the ferry (1 hour each way). It's just something to factor into your thoughts.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights on Ometepe or SJDS?

You just ask and answer your self, Ometepe has to be the the area where you should spend the last 2 extra nights as is a charm and unique place btw is the biggest island in the world inside of a fresh water lake.

Go to Ometepe you won´t regret it.

SCHEDULE OF BOATS AND FERRYS TO OMETEPE

San Jorge > Ometepe

Hora Name of ship Arrive

07:00 Ferry (Che Guevara) Moyogalpa

07:45 Ferry (Milton Arcia) Moyogalpa

09:30 Ferry (Rey del Cocibolca) San José

14:30 Ferry (Milton Arcia) Moyogalpa

16:00 Ferry (Che Guevara) Moyogalpa

17:00 Ferry (Rey del Cocibolca) San José

17:45 Ferry (Milton Arcia) Moyogalpa

Ometepe > San Jorge

Hora Embarcaciónship Port

06:00 Ferry (Milton Arcia) Moyogalpa

07:30 Ferry (Rey del Cocibolca) San José

09:00 Ferry (Milton Arcia) Moyogalpa

11:00 Ferry (Che Guevara) Moyogalpa

12:30 Ferry (Milton Arcia) Moyogalpa

15:20 Ferry (Rey del Cocibolca) San José

16:00 Ferry (Milton Arcia) Moyogalpa

17:30 Ferry (Che Guevara) Moyogalpa

Byron

www.byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights on Ometepe or SJDS?

Thank you for your responses! I am still leaning towards Ometepe and your responses confirm this.

Montreal
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights on Ometepe or SJDS?

I was in both. Depends on what you want, but if you're with your sisters, want to see something a bit more natural and unique, there is no doubt, go to Ometepe. SJDS is a party town full of 18-25 year olds.

5. Re: 2 nights on Ometepe or SJDS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:15