We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Volcanic Site to Visit in Granada/Ometepe Area

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Best Volcanic Site to Visit in Granada/Ometepe Area

My friend and I will be traveling through Granada, Ometepe, and possibly Masaya and we're wondering which of the four volcanoes in this area - Concepcion & Maderas on Ometepe, Mombacho near Granada, and Masaya near Masaya - would be the most worthwhile to visit? We will have tennis shoes with us and are experienced hikers in the U.S., but we will not have extreme hiking gear with us on this trip. So essentially, we are looking for an adventurous experience, but not a grueling, taxing hike and will only have time to probably visit one. Thanks!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Volcanic Site to Visit in Granada/Ometepe Area

From all of this volcanoes the only one that you can see the top and the active crater is masaya because Conception you can climb but sometimes for safety reason they do not allow you to go to the top. Maderas and the surround of it will be the best best for wild life. Mombacho will be my last option.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Volcanic Site to Visit in Granada/Ometepe Area

Thank you! Was trying to find a difference between them all and that helps.

Boise, Idaho
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Volcanic Site to Visit in Granada/Ometepe Area

Our family visited both volcanoes you mentioned = The Maderas Volcano was really special though since we had some children with us we only hiked to the lookout and then across thru the farm fields to the Finca Magdalena coffee cooperative. Tony showed up the really cool stone carvings - petroglyphs at Por Venir - they have beautiful gardens and we also visited some of his family and saw his grandmother's old 2 story wood house.....his ancestors have farmed here from the beginning. This is a lush eco-system and can even still be muddy and slippery towards the top near the lagoon - we did enjoy seeing the farm fields too and then the lush forested regions - we spotted monkeys - Congas eating mangos!

Linda from Linda Guest House provided us with helpful information prior to our trip to Nicaragua so that we were prepared for this hike - long lightweight pants and shirt and backpack, hat, sunscreen. bug spray, food and water! Good hiking shoes were recommended though all of us were in sneakers that had good treads and we saw people hiking to the lagoon with the same shoes too.

After our 8 night stay on the beach on Ometepe Island (we could have stayed longer....maybe next year!)

we traveled back thru Masaya and visited the Musueum and Masaya Volcano. It was interesting to see though not much of a "hike" more like stairs. It can get smelly too depending on the wind currents. I would recommend to take the night hike - I hear it is impressive!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Volcanic Site to Visit in Granada/Ometepe Area

I'm thinking with a little bit of preparation, Maderas might be the winner here. Thank you for the valuable input!

5. Re: Best Volcanic Site to Visit in Granada/Ometepe Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 06:18