We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Food

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Street Food

What are some good Nicaraguan street food we can try, especially in Granada? We are getting very excited.

Cincinnati, Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Street Food

In Granada, I usually go for quesillos from one of the carts that's usually set up in the afternoon in front of La Merced church. Quesillos are akin to a rolled up quesadilla with lots of crema (sour cream) and onions. You'll find vendors selling cut fresh fruit on about every street corner cheaply. There's also usually a lady selling bunuelos (like donut holes) near the cathedral on Calle La Calzada.

I'd also recommend the food kiosks in the central park in Masaya. All sorts of good stuff can be had there.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street Food

while you are in Granada you want to try some Frito which translated means fried. This dish consist of Green and Sweet (Ripe) plantains served on a banana leaf and with this you will choose between grilled pork, beef or chicken and if you want more go ahead and feel free to add a piece of fried cheese and GALLOPINTO (Rice & BEANS) tHIS WILL RUN YOU ABOUT us$4.50

Nacatamal is another traditional dish which is mainly found for breakfasts, i will highly recommend the Garden Cafe to try these. This is a tamale of corn dough which is prepared with different spices, along with marinated pork, potato, rice, chillies, mint leaves onions and tomato steamed on a banana leaf served with bread and coffee or Coca Cola.

In the Masaya area specifically in the arts and crafts market you want to try Baho, Baho is a dish that is steamed and it contains Yuca, beef, green and ripe plantain coleslaw salad and pickled onions, very yummy.

In Granada you want to visit El Gordito´s Kiosk in central park and go for the traditional dish of the city VIGORON this is boiled yuca, pork rinds and coleslaw salad along with pickled onions.

If you happen to be in the Leon area you want to go for Quesillo i suggest a stop in Nagrote at the Quesillo gourmet or in the next town La Pax Centro Quesillo Guiliguiste both these places are famous for their quesillos and they are both found on the way to Leon.

If you go to Rivas make a stop and get some Rosquillas, little corn dough snacks doughnut shaped mixed with cheese and baked in a brick oven. Hope this helps

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street Food

I think I ate at El Gordito's three times when I was in Granada. Gallo pinto, fried cheese, slaw, and tortillas, and I think it was around $2 US. Good stuff.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Street Food

If you're in León, the street food at night near the market and the main plaza is delicious. And we didn't get sick :-)

5. Re: Street Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:17