We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio comparable for Nica? Or quiet fun beach.....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio comparable for Nica? Or quiet fun beach.....

I'm planning to travel to Nica's pacific coast in early August and seeking advice from expart or folks whom have traveled there a decent amount. Is there a Manuel Antonio type of comparable beach? Is SJDS really the touristy trap folks seem to say? I've spent some time in the CR (6 weeks or so) and a few days at Manuel Antonio, few on Atlantic side in a small town, and so I'm interested in somewhere with beaches akin to Manuel Antonio in Nica.

Second question and one I'm sure will be debated-- drive, bus or cab it? It's for a honeymoon and so I'm tempted to cab or drive myself. I know how crazy the drivers are, but I've driven in other probably worse.

Last question--I've only been in San Jose during rainy season and never to the beaches. How bad is it? Is it the once-a-day shower or is it legitimately showering all the time?

Recommendations welcomed--thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Antonio comparable for Nica? Or quiet fun beach.....

I think Manuel Antonio and the Quepos area is more of a tourist trap than SJDS. If you want a totally secluded quiet beach just outside SJDS check out Morgans Rock.

http://www.morgansrock.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Antonio comparable for Nica? Or quiet fun beach.....

I am at Morgan's Rock right now and it is incredible.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Antonio comparable for Nica? Or quiet fun beach.....

Hi BananaWow,

When we were there we were the only beach people, everyone else hung out at the pool. We felt like Robinson Crusoe but he didn't have ice cold beer delivery down to the beach whenever we wanted. It is a very unique place. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manuel Antonio comparable for Nica? Or quiet fun beach.....

It all depends on your perspective and what a quiet beach means to you. I'm not familiar with Manuel Antonio but San Juan del Sur is way too developed for me. We are partial to Las Penitas, but it's a quiet fishing village outside of Leon, not a resort.

For a honeymoon I would cab it, unless you have a lot of experience driving in developed countries or like the "charm" of public transport and aren't in a hurry.

Depending on your budget if you're a resort type you should also look at Mukul.

5. Re: Manuel Antonio comparable for Nica? Or quiet fun beach.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:16