We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

Los Angeles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

i was in Costa Rica and Nicaragua last week. I spent only 3 days in each country. Here is my opinion:

Costa Rica is the place for tourist, with major American hotels and fast food, along with the price. Cost Rica is beautiful. Nicaragua doesn't have the tourist infrastructure that Cost Rica does, it has unique privately owned hotels and a few major hotels. No American food chains, all food is made by inhabitants (delicious/organic). Artisan goods are homemade not made in China. Nicaraguan people are not pretentious, they're humble but not stupid. If you like nature then you'll love Nicaragua because it has everything that Costa Rica does but by the 10th power and did I mention it's much more affordabl

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

I appreciate that. When we were choosing our next adventure Nicaragua won by a landside next to CR. We leave in October. Excited for it all!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

Costa Rica is a beatiful country, but yes it has become touristy and expensive. We prefer Nicaragua too.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 02:11
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

I agree. Been to both. Nicaragua in good times and in very bad times. My first thought in San Jose and looking down the street with all the fast food signs was it was like San Jose, California. Costa Rica has had the benefit on many decades of peace...and no army. Nicaragua had decades of the Somozas looting the country. My first time in Nicaragua was from April to August 1979. It's taken a generation to partially recover. I'd like to see the country modernize partially along similar lines. I know, tourists want it to remain quaint. But quaintness doesn't feed you kids. If the Chinese really do build a canal in Nica you are going to see some dramatic changes.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

103billw, interesting timing for your first visit to Nic...not just for fun I assume?

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

BZ...no. History of that time isn't what was told up here by the media. It wasn't an us vs them deal.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

Yes, from years of living in CA Ive learned that the true history of that region has little to do with propoganda delivered by the USA media. Spent some time in Leon and had a very interesting conversation with a former Sandanista fighter...the highlight of my visit there.

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

Our first visit to Nicaragua and we really enjoyed Ometepe Island - stayed 4 days and could have stayed longer but we wanted to surf too so we are near Popoyo and missing the unique friendly laid back atmosphere of Ometepe.

Our plans included the Volcano Maderas hike - we stayed at Linda's cozy guest cottage (Linda Guest House) right on the beach - beautiful, comfy - she really pampered us with fresh passion fruit juice, and whatever is in her garden including organic spinach and green beans, herbs for tea, and for eggs or spaghetti including lemon grass, mint,various types of basil and cilantro, we tried new things such as the freshly harvested pinto beans! OMG- so delicious. After our amazing hike with Tony to the crater lake and thru the farms, petroglyphs and coffee plantations we really appreciated the new beans and organic coffee for breakfast!

Buy the locally made chocolate, coconut bread, unique amber jewelry, the mineral springs are wonderful, a foot massage and great information from Linda to make our visit to this special place more enlightening!

By the way we have previously been to Costa Rica which has beautiful places, amazing thermal springs and beaches - definitely more expensive and more infrastructure but the more unique travel experience can be found in Nicaragua and definitely on the volcanic island Ometepe!

8. Re: Costa Rica vs Nicaragua vacation destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22