We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Managua at night

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Arriving in Managua at night

Hi - myself and 3 friends are arriving in Managua at 10:30pm and have booked a room at the Best Western by the airport. I understand this is a very short walk from the airport. Is it safe to walk there at that time of night? From there we are traveling to San Juan Del Sur for 4 days and continuing to Granada for 3 days. We have booked private transportation through iskatravel to get to these locations. I hope they are a good company for transportation, any feedback? Any recommendations of things to do, special highlights? I've also heard mixed feedback on safety precautions while traveling in Nicaragua. We are smart travelers, but any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Managua at night

The best western is really right oposite of the airport just cross the street and you are there...Iskra Travel is fine...San Juan del Sur is a tourist trap...dirty beach hotels are completly overpriced.....Its the worst place which you can visit in whole Nicaragua...If you surfer or party people you will love it ...But is has nothing to do with nicaragua..Granada is ok but compare to Leon also overrated...

Salta

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Managua at night

You only have to walk across the street, youll be outside for 5 minutes max. You should be fine here.

As for safety precautions, just normal smart traveling. Dont flash expensive gadgets, dont pull out large amounts of money, dont leave items or bags unattended, etc. Normal stuff.

Most importantly, dont stress out over things like, being safe walking across the street for a couple minutes. Othewise youll be stressed and freaked out and anxious the whole trip worried about safety, and youll end up ruining your enjoyment of your trip.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 03:56
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Managua at night

Greetings Melissa: I tell my guests two things when they are first time visitors. "Todo es una aventura" (everything is an adventure) and that everything gets resolved. Sometimes there may be delays, maybe a tour does not work out the way you had in mind, etc. but it all works out in the end.

Have a great trip!

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

4. Re: Arriving in Managua at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17