We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exist a dollar/euro black market in Nicaragua? ATM ?

Como
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Exist a dollar/euro black market in Nicaragua? ATM ?

Hi everyone I'm going to Nica in 2 days and I'm wondering what is best, bring just ATM and take money at the correct value change rate if the ATMs accept an european ATM card with cirrus/maestro circuit or just bring cash.

Exist a black market of dollars or euro so that is more convenient change cash (just like in venezuela)?

thank you very much

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exist a dollar/euro black market in Nicaragua? ATM ?

HI ATM normally works fine. to take out money most accepted are VISA. Maestro is not widely accepted as far as i know you can take out only on Bank Procredit with Maestro. YOu can select if you like USD or Cordobas...Better exchage you get from Street changers they are nomally waiting just outside of the banc for customers..They give a better exchange rate...And the best you get if you go to the Supermarket at La Colonia or La Union buying a coke and pay with a 50 USD bill you will get the best exchange rate.

Normally you can pay almost all over in USD but its better to have small Cordobas bills to pay for example taxi in Granada which cost 0.4 USD .

Regards

Salta

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exist a dollar/euro black market in Nicaragua? ATM ?

i dont know if its black market at all, but there are some people in the markets in managua that will take euros for exchange. There are a few different stalls in Huembes and Oriental that accept/exchange euros, dollars, lempiras, colones, etc.

the major banks willexchange euros too, but they charge their fee too so their rates are slightly lower than the official exchanges.

ATMs will let you withdraw money from an ATM in dollars or cordobas, but either way, for a euro its exchange....which means your bank will charge you an exchange fee on it, not ridiculous, but usually a few bucks.

3. Re: Exist a dollar/euro black market in Nicaragua? ATM ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17