We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel times and distance from managua to ometepe and back

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
travel times and distance from managua to ometepe and back

Hi, I am trying to plan wise with regard to travel times. I will arrive on friday afternoon in Managua around noon, I'm not even trying to get to San Jorge on the same day. So I'm trying to find a city at maybe the half point mark where we could sleep and be able enjoy some more of the country. How far is Masaya or Granada from Managua? and then How far are they from the port?

I would welcome any suggestions. We have 7 nights.

Thanks in Advance

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel times and distance from managua to ometepe and back

Greetings Gina324:

That first night you have some options that will get you in the direction of San Jorge which is located to the south of Managua.

If you want to do some local touring such as the Masaya Volcano, the Artisan's Market, or hike a nature reserve to see waterfalls and parrots, somewhere towards Masaya would be good. This area would be closer to the airport (~20-25 minutes), outside of Managua on the way towards Masaya, Granada, San Jorge, and San Juan del Sur.

Another good option is Laguna de Apoyo, a beautiful crater lake with the cleanest water in Central America. There are some really nice places to stay and it is only about 40-45 minutes from the airport.

Of course, Granada is another well-frequented tourist town that has plenty of lodging and dining options. This too is about 45 minutes from the airport. Both of these locations are not directly on the route to San Jorge, but not far off the path either.

Any of the above mentioned areas are about 1.5 hours from San Jorge.

Okay, hope that helps you. Have a fantastic visit to Nicaragua!

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

West Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel times and distance from managua to ometepe and back

thank yoy, I will give this soome thought I will probably have another question, as far as taking the bus

3. Re: travel times and distance from managua to ometepe and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:18