We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

4 posts
Save Topic
1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

I'm planning a one-week trip to Nicaragua with a friend in Feb. There's so much I want to do, and so little time. I would love to spend at least a night at the beach, but it seems challenging with my itinerary (and not planning to rent a car, so need to do taxis or busses).

My current plan is:

Granada: 3 nights

Ometepe: 2 nights/ 3 days

I'd like to spend the last night at the beach... but it needs to be a beach near Managua (with easy/reliable access, at least by taxi), because I have a 3pm flight out of Managua the next day.

I'd like to go someplace like Masachapa, but it seems like it could be hard to get there straight from Ometepe. Anyone have any idea how much a taxi would cost? And/or any other suggestions of how I could get a tiny bit of time at the Pacific Ocean into this schedule?

Thanks so much!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

I was trying to do the same thing, and thought about squeezing in a day in SJDS, but ended up deciding on Laguna de Apoyo, which has a beach, I think...and it's meant to be spectacular, way more unique than a typical beach spot. AND Laguna de Apoyo is close to Granada, 45 mins from the airport.

I'm doing Granada-Ometepe-LdA-Managua for the last night as I have an early morning flight back home.

Good luck, and enjoy. I'm going to Nica next week.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 20:45
Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

Boqueste is just 1 1/2 hour from Granada and not overcrowded...Why do you like to stay 3 nights in Granada there is in town not much to do...Its not a city is a bigger village and you can see everhing within one day...3 tiny museums and than walk around the 4 blocks of the main square thats it...and even you can do the Isletas tour in the same day...

If you take day excursions around than its fine..

As Cdn_flipflops says above if you really like to swim the best spot in the whole counry is Laguna de Apoyo a crater lake with the cleanest water of central america.... And if you like wake up calls by monkees and birds and not the streets noise and fireckrackers thain in Granada i would stay 3 night in the Laguna and would made a day excursions to Granada...Also Granada is extremly hot compare to the Laguna.... Granada is a nice colonial village but completly overrated if you compare with Leon and other colonial towns in SOuth and Central America..

Cheers

Salta

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

I love Laguna de Apoyo but I want to make it clear it is NOT a beach. It is a beautiful crater lake with no waves and you are most likely to enter off of a dock or a rocky area. It's gorgeous, but I'm guessing if you're asking about the "beach" after a few nights in Ometepe you are probably looking for something more ocean.

I don't have any great recommendations near Managua (just because it's not an area we've explored) so sorry I can't help there.

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

We abandoned the beach in November for Laguan de Apoyo back in November and we don't regret making the switch at all. The Laguna is great. It's close to a lot of different activities and it's so picturesque. Check out San Simian Resort and enjoy their great drinks.

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

Thanks all! I was thinking that I wanted a real, ocean beach… but I've since looked into Laguna de Apoyo more, and it might be the best bet for our last night. I think we'd like something relaxing and beautiful at the end of the trip, but not too far from the airport. Cdn_flipflops: How do you plan to get to Laguna de Apoyo from Ometepe? San Simian Resort looks great.

As for Granda: I was planning on doing 2 days of excursions in the area (Mombacho, Masaya, etc.) and just 1 day of hanging out in town. Do others think this is more time than we need? I suppose the other option would be to totally change itinerary and do the Pacific beach in the beginning of the trip for 1-2 nights. In that case I could do:

Beach (2 nights)

Ometepe (2 nights, but not sure how easy it would be to get there/ back from the beaches)

Granada (2 nights)-- then return straight to airport from Granada

If I went with this option, what beaches and transportation would you recommend? I've heard that SJDS isn't worth it? Also want to stay somewhere relatively safe since we are 2 female travelers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

Hi Sarita,

I am hopefully booking private transfers. I wiped out on black ice here in Toronto, so have a few back issues. Don't want to aggravate it by lugging my little carry on and backpack around on busses. Too old for that. :)

Also too old for that whole SJDS scene....:D Looking forward to Granada, Ometepe and Laguna de Apoyo.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

If you do Laguna, San Simian is an incredible place. Another great one is Apoyo Lodge.

There is definitely enough to do around Granada are if you consider the Penas Blancas, Volcan Mombacho, Volcan Masaya, Masaya crafts market, Isletas tour, tour of the town itself (it's worth it to do a horse and carriage tour), etc.

If you aren't interested in SJDS but do want to do ocean, maybe do Leon area beach, then Granada, then Ometepe. Based on geography that will be the easiest. Our first trip we did all of those areas plus San Juan Del Sur but we had a little more time.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

the closest beach to Managua is about 45-60 minutes away in Pochomil. But there is no beach between Ometepe and Managua. The beach is an hour west of Ometepe, and you go straight north, or northeast to get to managua.

You could take a bus up to Diriamba, and then head a half hour to Casares.

Laguna De Apoyo is a nice place, but as was mentioned, its no beach. Its uncomfortable rock, and just a small beach like area. No sand, no big waves, etc. its a small lake. It is an amazing view though and i recommend it, its just no beach adventure.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

And I would just pile on to likeeveryoneelse that Casares is no great shakes as far as a beach is concerned, would be fine for a few hours but only 1 restaurant and 1 comedor, not that great. There are many great beaches in Nicaragua, they just are not between Rivas (Ometepe ferry) and Managua.

10. Re: 1 night on a beach between Ometepe and Managua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 06:19