We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 20-somethings Traveling Nicaragua

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
4 20-somethings Traveling Nicaragua

Hello!

Three friends and I are traveling Nicaragua in August 2014. We only have a week and are looking at breaking our time up in two cities. I have heard the most about Leon, Managua, and Granada. Between those three which would be the best two for us to stay in?

Also, I know it may rain a lot in August so any advice for the rainy season would be great as well.

I'd love any other advice on things to do or places to visit/stay too!

Thanks!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 20-somethings Traveling Nicaragua

I've not been in August, but I've been in July. I don't think it's a rain-out in either of those cities in August and you could still have a lovely time. I would say skip Managua and do Granada (plus many lovely day trips to Laguna Masaya, Volcan Mombacho, Volcan Masaya, Masaya crafts market, Las Isletas tour, etc. You can even zip line at Mombacho and I hear it's nice. I did a zip in SJDS that was great.

In Leon, you could divide time between beach and city; depending on what you like I'd base myself at the beach and then take trips back to Leon. For your age bracket check out Big Foot Hostel which has affiliate in Las Penitas beach and back in Leon. But there are many great places to stay , simple b&bs, hostels, etc. There are house rentals as well but they are pricier for a small group.

In Leon/Las Penitas, you can tour the mangrove through the estuary that leads out to a protected barrier island with almost no development, only an ecotourism experiment. You can also surf down the volcano in Cerro Negro, and many other fun things. Cheap surf lessons. Good cheep bear and rum. Lots of great sunsets.

Best of luck!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 20-somethings Traveling Nicaragua

Most tourists will tell you to skip Managua. Which i think is kinda sad, and i encourage people to check out Managua as the experience is well worth it. I wouldnt say spend your whole vacation in Managua, but its worth checking out. Most tourists go to Granada, Leon, San Juan Del Sur. All are nice places and you will enjoy them, but mostly youll be around other tourists, doing tourist excursions and eating food you could eat back home. Which for many is quite enjoyable. Managua is very different than the rest of Nicaragua (for better or for worse), and you will not see another place like Managua, even in the rest of central america. Of course for many uncertainty and different = scary and bad, so they wont enjoy it, but it depends on the type of travelers you are and what you want.

All 3 are good places to anchor down for a few days and do day trip as well as most of the tourist attractions and spots are all within a short bus ride of any of those 3 cities. So from any of the cities you have many things to do.

Much of it depends on the variables. How long you are staying. What kind of experience you want. What things you like to do, etc.

3. Re: 4 20-somethings Traveling Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:19