We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Nicaragua?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Nicaragua?

We'll be in Nicaragua next month. Got tickets but have not chosen a place yet. Our favorite place we've been so far is Tulum, Mexico. Any chance to find something similar in Nica? I am hopeful that someone who's been to both will be able to give me some much appreciated advise. Cheers!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua?

well for starters there are no walled in ancient mayan cities on the beach in Nicaragua. So you probably wont find anything quite like Tulum here.

You are asking a very broad question, and one that is subjective. It really depends on the type of traveler you are and waht you want. Relaxing or adventure? city or village? luxury or rustic?

everyones idea of a must see place is different.

i suggest doing some research on this site or others first to get an idea of what is here even, and then you can ask more specific questions later.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua?

The only Caribbean destinations easy-ish to get to in Nica are the Pearl Cays and the Corn Islands but they are absolutely nothing like Tulum or anywhere in Quintanaroo, mi amiga.

If you take the ruins out of the question, you can find a Bohemian beach scene on Little Corn and scattered about in the often deserted and definitely tumultuous surfing beaches east of Leon.

Nica has other charms and a lot of them. In your initial research you may wish to start with:

Corn Islands/Pearl Cays

Ometepe

Laguna de Apoyo

Leon

San Juan del Sur and beaches surrounding

Granada

Matagalpa/Esteli/Somoto

These forums, where people post about "Itinerary Suggestions" are also great providers of information and should help you start weeding through the plethori!

Edited: 25 January 2014, 00:06
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua?

likeeveryoneelse: I appreciate your reply and sleuthing through your posts in this forum you seem very knowledgeable about Nicaragua (by the way, good work in writing all the replies you wrote). The reason I said "someone who went to both" was meant to make my question very precise since undoubtedly someone who went to Tulum would know exactly what I meant. I am not looking for mayan ruins in Nicaragua (well to be honest, I was not looking for those in Tulum either). Bohemian beach, rustic accommodation on the beach in a small cabana, 20 restaurants that one can easily walk to with fantastic seafood and a short drive to visit towns with not a lot of tourists where one can spend an afternoon watching locals come and go to the town market munching on some local fares. That is what I am looking for

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua?

socklessj: Thanks a bunch for the reply. Corn Island is too much logistics with a 4 years old in tow. The rest are all possibilities that I certainly read about. SJDS seems like would fit the bill, minus beach accommodations (I am right now trying to understand if playa gigante or casares would actually be a better bet) but I am apprehensive of the whole "frat boy party scene" that some posts seem to imply on SJDS. Could you be so kind as to expand a little on the Leon beaches? That I found intriguing but is not easy to find info about.

My backup plan is to forego the whole beach thing and base ourselves in Granada and just explore around in a car.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua?

I certainly found SJDS to be more Cancun and less Tulum, if you catch my drift.

Las Penitas, Jiquillilo, Asseradores - all gorgeous beach areas close to Leon. Leon is also a great "base camp" and is surrounded by volcano day trips much like Grenada. I find Grenada and Leon have completely different vibes and so do their surrounding day trips.

6. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:18