We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days 4 nights in nicaragua

Orange County...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
5 days 4 nights in nicaragua

Hi all!

Planning our semi-honeymoon trip to Nica in a few weeks. Wanted to check and see if someone has any ideas or suggestions to make this itinerary better.

Day 1: Arrive at Managua airport 7pm, transfer to Granada hotel (not chosen yet), go around town, overnight.

Day 2: early ferry to Ometepe, check in to hotel (none chosen yet), island tour, ojo de agua, overnight.

Day 3: early volcano hike to vista, check out, ferry to Rivas, transfer to granada, transfer to Jicaro eco-lodge. overnight Jicaro.

Day 4: Jicaro all day. overnight Jicaro.

Day 5: ferry to Granada, transfer to Managua for 2pm flight.

my questions:

1. recommendations for hotels in granada that's affordable and has a central location?

2. any recommendations for hotels in ometepe? I'm assuming whichever hotel/lodge we choose can arrange tours for us. I just wasn't sure which part of the island would be best for our schedule.

3. will we have time to do a quick tour of granada before heading to Jicaro? I read in a lot of posts that Granada is such a tourist trap and most places we can just tour in like 30mins-1hr.

4. we're spending a lot of money at Jicaro so I expect to utilize every single service/amenity they would have.

5. should we devote more time to pass by Masaya and their famed markets before heading to the airport? might not be a good idea as i'll have limited space on my luggage. :)

oh, and we're coming from costa rica so beach options are not really what we're going for here since we're already spending most of our time in CR at the beach.

Thanks in advance!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days 4 nights in nicaragua

1. Depends on what you consider affordable, and what your comfort levels are. My idea of an affordable place in Nicaragua is a 10 dollar a night place. Others may feel that 70-80 dollars is affordable. Youll have to be more specific. But there are plenty of places to stay in the area, so you will have no shortage of places to choose from.

2. Same for this. I recommend Yogis hostel in Moyogalpa for the cheaper basic option, and Hotel Omaja in Merida if you want a nicer, albeit more expensive option. But a lot will depend on what you are doing. The island is pretty big, especially for a one day tour, so youll probably have to do some research to see what parts you want to see, and that will help you get an idea of what part to stay in. Especially if you are going to the "other" side of the island where the roads are bad, and it can take an hour or two to travel from one end to the other. With only 1 day there, youll probably not want to waste much time in going back and forth.

3. Depends on what your idea of a "tour" is. It is very touristy, and most tourist stick to the center part, around central park and the street to the lakefront called "la calzada". You can walk around and SEE the sights in a half hour, but if you want to go in museums, or art galleries, or stop and eat, or get a more detailed tour of the other parts of the city youll need more time.

5. The masaya market is really overrated in my opinion. Their normal city market is nice, but the tourist market isnt worth it. Everything is higher there because they cater to only tourists. It is nicer, cleaner, has a bettervibe, etc. But pretty much anything you can get in the masaya market you can pick up in other markets like Rivas, Granada or Managua. If you arent going to any other market in the country, its worth checking out.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days 4 nights in nicaragua

Thanks for the tips!

Hotel Omaja is not available during our dates. for now we're looking at santo domingo or santa cruz. i looked at moyogalpa but i think we're looking for something farther from the port..

and yea, we'll most likely just check out the markets at granada or managua. is there a large-ish mall or grocery in granada? in costa rica, i buy costa rican coffee and other local snacks at the walmart.

3. Re: 5 days 4 nights in nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:18