We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monthly rentals

Enfield
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Monthly rentals

We are a group of 5 adults with modest means looking for a house to rent for January and February, possibly one area in January and another in February but could stay in one area for the two months. We are interested in exploring nature and birding and cooking for ourselves most of the time. Staying in a city does not appeal to us. All of the 'villas' I have looked at online are catering to the wealthy, luxury crowd. Am I dreaming or are there decent houses available for around the $1000/ month range?

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monthly rentals

1000 a month in a 3rd world country doesnt qualify as luxury?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monthly rentals

Have you looked on airbnb.com and vrbo.com? Also, you could pick a place (beach) and ask a hotel there if they manage any rentals in that price range.

Jan and Feb are the high season, so rentals don't have an incentive to give a discount for staying a month. I'm assuming you are trying to escape cold but you could get a better deal if you went during a lower season like August and September?

You might also want to consider a long-term stay at a B&B or hostel. Hostels in Nicaragua can be pretty nice depending. There a few spots on Poneloya that rent for $30 a night or so, and if there are enough of you, you might rent out the whole place.

A small house you might find at that price but in the high season that seems like a low budget for a private house.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monthly rentals

Also! Check Managua craigslist's real estate listings. managua.craigslist.org.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monthly rentals

Keep in mind you get what you pay for in many cases. You can find a house on the beach or in a small village somewhere beautiful and pay 50 bucks a month. I have many friends who rent entire houses in various parts of the country for less than 100-150 bucks a month. But they are very basic, no hot water or air conditioning or pool, or gated/walled in security etc.

If you go to the gringo sites like craigslist or airbnb you will find overpriced places that are owned by foreigners and being offered pretty exclusively to foreigners.

But you also get a much much higher class of house as well. the amenities will be nicer and will be what americans/europeans are more used to.

You can find more locally offered homes on encuentra24.com or the best way to do it here is just show up. As was mentioned in a previous post, just check into a hotel/hostel for a few days to make sure thats where you want to stay and then ask around. word of mouth is the best way to find things.

i currently just rented a huge 5 bedroom 4 full bathroom house with a pool and air conditioning, off street parking, etc to use as a hostel of sorts for less than 400 a month, and thats in the city where prices are higher. It wasnt the cheapest option i looked at either, but its a nice place. But it wasnt listed online anywhere, i just happened to be in a neighborhood asking around.

My friends got a newly built basic house with 4 bedrooms for 75 bucks a month, but its kinda in the middle of nowhere outside of juigalpa. Beautiful place in the mountains, wonderful for relaxing.

They are out there, they just arent on the websites for foreigners.

5. Re: Monthly rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26