We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in nicaragua

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time in nicaragua

my husband & i are traveling to nicaragua for 10 days in april. we would like to spend some time soaking up culture in granada and the rest relaxing in san juan del sur. how many days should we designate to seeing sights in granada? are there any other day trips that are a must see?

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
962 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in nicaragua

If you spend three days in Granada that will be plenty...allow you to see the lake and the town and really is not all that much more.

You can go up on Mombacho Volcano and see coffee and processing, great views and a lot of the natural environment.

There is a lodge about half way up the volcano with great accommodations and food...likely worth a day or two there. Mombacho Lodge.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in nicaragua

Granada and SJDS sounds nice but i would add some time to Leon city or Ometepe, that´s where the real Nicaragua is.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in nicaragua

i leave you an idea of an itinerary in case you want to explore a bit more.

1st day arrival at International airport and transfer to your hotel.

2nd day, transfer to Leon and touring around the beautiful but humid Leon, Lunch on the beach, cool of at las Peñitas or Poneloña beach and boat ride at Isla Juan Venado.

3rd day, day trip to Cerro Negro and practice sandbording or the regular hiking after lunch time transfer to the beautiful colonial gem of Granada

4th day, Visit to the colonial city of Granada including a boat ride or kayak tour on the little Island of Granada at Lake Nicaragua.

5th day, Day trip to the city of Masaya, visiting the first national park of Nicaragua Masaya Volcano, Masaya art craft market, Catarina view point, San Juan de Oriente pottery town.

6th day, transfer to Ometepe and enjoy of the island. Relax the rest of the afternoon at your hotel.

7th day, Full day trip on the island visiting charcoverde reserve, Finca El Porvenir for its rock carving, Playa Santo domingo, Altagracia and the water spring “el ojo de agua”.

8th day, transfer to San Juan del Sur and enjoy of this paradisiacal place

9th day, Enjoy the morning at the beach and after lunch transfer back to hotel in Managua.

10th day, transfer to the international airport to catch your flight.

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in nicaragua

i agree with byronortega. Both granada and san juan del sur are nice places, and you can have a nice vacation there. But you might as well be anywhere in the world. I think if you are coming for local culture, those are the most touristy places in the country, so they are pretty far removed from the 95% of the rest of Nicaragua.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in nicaragua

i am completly agree with likeeveryonelse..

If you go to Granada and San Juan del Sur you dont get a Nicaragua experience at all...To touristy...I would go to Leon a real colonial and authentic town and than to the beach at las Penitas just a 1/2 north of Leon. Leon is the nicer colonial city with more culture and museums than Granada and not so touristy and penitas is by fare nicer than San Juan del Sur..

Salta

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
1,253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in nicaragua

i d follow byron's tips

nice itinerary even if i d spend some days more in leon than granada

we enjoyed leon a lot

7. Re: first time in nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:18