We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Crossing

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Border Crossing

I'm considering visiting Costa Rica for a week after spending several weeks in Nicaragua. Does anyone know a good bus company to go from Nicaragua to San Jose? I'll most likely be in the south west, probably Rivas or San Juan del Sur. I've heard crossing the border can be a bit difficult and would like to go with a reputable company to make things a little bit easier. Thanks!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border Crossing

If you take a private bus line they will handle the border for you.

Most people use TicaBus and its usually the most recommended, though i dont think its the best at all. There are alternatives like NicaExpreso (they give you a free juice and pizza on the way, and are a couple bucks cheaper than ticabus), there is also TransNica, Central Line, and King Quality Line (though i heard they no longer exist as of a week or two ago...not sure)

Each of those usually charge a buck extra for the border fees as a "convenience fee", but you get to just sit and hang out while they do the work which could be well worth it depending on your choice. It will cost about 26-34 dollars one way (depending which bus line you choose) plus the border fees. The private buses charge a flat rate regardless of where you get on/off, so whether you get on in managua or right near the border, the charge is the same.

Your alternative is to take a normal chicken bus to Penas Blancas (which costs about 3 dollars from managua, only about a buck or so from the rivas/san juan del sur area), then walk across the border and do the paperwork yourself, and then catch a local bus for 6-8 bucks to San Jose.

might save you up to 20 bucks one way, but adds the stress and hassle of doing it yourself.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border Crossing

Thank you! That information is so helpful. I'll pay more for the convenience for sure. I'll look into all those companies. One more question, can I just buy my ticket when I get to Nica or do I have to reserve it for a private bus far in advance? This will be in late July.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border Crossing

Out of season you normally can go to the bus station and by the tickert there...July season is picking up and bus could be full....maybe its better to buy the ticket online...

Salta

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border Crossing

july its picking up and more touristy? i think its the other way around. July is beginning the rainy season when there are far less tourists.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border Crossing

either is or not July the high season julierebeca mention that she will be or a while in Nicaragua, so as soon as she get to the country she can go to any of this recommendation my pick will be TICA bus i have used it tons of times and 1 or 2 dollars does not make a difference, just take in consideration to bring with you your way out ticket. sometimes they ask for it.

6. Re: Border Crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 07:16