We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla de Ometepe or pacific coast

Barnsley
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Isla de Ometepe or pacific coast

Hi,

I'm in need of a bit of expert advice.

Me and my girlfriend are currently on a round the world trip and are currently in Granada, Nicaragua. We have about 4 or 5 days before we need to head to Costa Rica and can't decide where to spend our final time.

Initially we were going to do both, however due to ferries/buses I think we may be better off relaxing in one area and instead doing day trips.

Our interests are local food, seeing local life/villages/animals/anything exciting, however due to this being near the end of our trip our budget isnt what it once was so these activities have to be reasonably priced.

Whilst we enjoy a beer we don't really want to stay I'm a backpacker hub with a load more backpackers, we don't mind them at all, however its not our thing, we prefer to try and have a nice mix of local culture, but still get a beer and go for nice food if we like.

Can anyone recommend a good place/hotel, or just anything at all you think may help, I'm initially swung towards the coast, but want to make sure there's enough to see, places to eat etc....without being mega touristy burger and chips styleee. One thing we did want to do is splurge on a fishing trip where you go put for sail fish, marlin etc...

Hope someone can help, our budget per night is around $15 obviously if the place is amazing and worth it maybe we can stretch a little, but on general prefer more honestay type places.

Thanks,

Danny

Barnsley
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla de Ometepe or pacific coast

Further to my last post, we've been travelling now for 13 months and feel like we need somewhere similar to Palolem in Goa where you can rent cheap cabins on the beach, drink cheap beer, eat excellent food, party if you want but still get on a scooter and in 20minutes be in the middle of nowhere back in India.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla de Ometepe or pacific coast

Greetings livinonbeans:

Not being such a world traveler as yourself, I'm not aware of Palolem (looks cool though!) I would guess that either Little Corn Island on the Caribbean side (although the prices there are higher then what you might want to pay at this stage of your trip).

Probably a better fit on the Pacific Coast, Playa Gigante, and Jiquilillo come to mind as cheap places where a party can definitely happen but is not a mandatory event.

I hope the rest of your trip goes great!

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

Barnsley
Level Contributor
159 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla de Ometepe or pacific coast

Cheers for the advice Mike, we actually checked out the corn islands however due to time constraints decided against it, next time though!!

We actually headed to Playa Guasacate and I can see its pretty cool here, just what we were after. We've got a nice private double for $20 right on the beach in a hotel with loads of hammocks, cheap beer, big waves and just a good general feel about it.

Thanks,

Danny

4. Re: Isla de Ometepe or pacific coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28