We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicaragua

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nicaragua

For a first-timer to South & Central America, what would you suggest to a 22 year old male who'll be travelling solo on a low budget? He will have approx. a month in S.A. & a month in C.A. In C.A. he is interested in Nicaragua, Panama, Costa Rica, Belize. (Although personally I think it's better to pick less countries and see them well). The idea would be to choose back-packers hostels where they arrange trips. The months he would be travelling are August/September. Could anyone please suggest a starting point to plan this trip? Thank you, gracias!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicaragua

have you consider travelling with an organize not that expensive tour as http://www.gadventures.com/search/?q=central+america&ref=navsearch and if you wont with them at least can give you an idea on possible itinerary that you might choose.

Byron

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicaragua

With only a month just pick one or two countries (Costa Rica and Nicaragua) - you could easily spend a month in Costa Rica.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
68 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicaragua

Good luck telling a 22 year old anything, I didn't listen to anyone at that age. For what it is worth Belize adds considerable time and expense for transportation. In my experience quoted travel times in Central America are overly optimistic at least half the time. While Nicaragua and Guatemala are 10 of 10 in my book for friendliness, and Costa Rica is friendly, I found Belize far less friendly than the rest of Central America. If I were looking for a Caribbean island experience, I would choose the Corn Islands or the islands off Honduras unless I were determined to see the reef in Belize. Costa Rica is a beautiful country, excels at eco-tourism and is far more English friendly than Nicaragua, but it is substantially more expensive than Nicaragua. Most tourists in Nicaragua who speak little or no Spanish have no trouble getting around and enjoy themselves. I agree with Sean C that a month in Costa Rica and Nicaragua would be more satisfying than trying to travel from Panama to Belize and I can't think of what Panama offers which can't be enjoyed in Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Moreover, Costa Rica and Nicaragua are the two safest countries in Central America.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicaragua

We didn't think much of belize but we had bad weather and couldn't get out to the reef. The beaches were filthy. Nicaragua was great and we loved the area around Copan Ruinas in Honduras,especially the Finca El Cisne and the thermal baths near there. Also the ruins of course.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicaragua

YOu could easy spent one months in Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua etc...So if you really like to see i would go only to one or two countries...

Nicaragua Costa Rica and Panamar are cleary more safe than Guatelmala, Slavador ..

There are no colonial cities in Cota Rica so for that you have to go to Panama or Nicaragua

Vulcanos are in all countries by most are in Nicaragua than Costa Rica and a few in Panama

High mountains Panama and Costa Rica

Cloud forest in all counties

Rain Forest all countries but biggest one in Nicaraga but not with a very good infrastructure..

Lakes biggest are in Nicaragua but not cleanest..

Beaches on caribien side...Best Costa Rica, Panana (Nicaragua only Corn Island) Personally i iek Archipelago de San Blas in Panama my favoriste spot for beaches...

Maybe that helps do make a decision where you like to go...

6. Re: Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2015, 18:17