We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spot for surfing in February for a family

Gypsum, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best spot for surfing in February for a family

Our family of four (kids will be 9 and almost 7) is headed to nicaragua in February. Planning to go to Little Corn for a while and then want to head to the Pacific side. My husband grew up surfing but my kids and I are never-evers. I really like what I have read about Jiquillio as far as getting involved in the community and activities for my kids. However it looks like the surf conditions aren't great there in February. Can anyone weigh in on this? Would beginners and an advanced person find what they want there? What other area is good in February for both beginners and advanced?

Thanks in advance!

Barefoot Surf Travel
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Nica Sail and Surf
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Boat Tours
San Juan del Sur Surf and Sport
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Surf Popoyo Lessons​
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Sports Camps & Clinics
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best spot for surfing in February for a family

Greetings thcolorado:

February has some of the strongest offshore winds in the Rivas (Tola and San Juan del Sur) area, whereas up in Jiquilillo you have more typical offshore in the morning switching onshore later in the day type of wind patterns. The water in Rivas gets cold-ish during this part of the year, while it stays warm further north.

February also has the smallest surf of just about any month I can think of, so the size would be fairly similar throughout Nicaragua, but it is in my opinion more surfable outside of the lake-effect offshores zone. I don't think an expert surfer will find Jiqulillo that challenging though...

Not too far from there if you rent a vehicle is Booms beach (near Asseradores) which is a more intense beachbreak barrelling kind of wave with strong currents. But that would not be a good beach for your children. Nearby there is Bahia de Najualapa (sic) which is a more mellow spot great to learn at. So you might consider the Asseradores/Aposentillo area for your family. This area is a bit south of Jiquilillo, nearer to Chinandega.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde, Managua

2. Re: Best spot for surfing in February for a family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:23
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor