We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

Hello,

Currently my itinerary is the following:

- Spend one day in Granada and sleep there

- Next morning hike Volcan Masaya and then sleep in Lagun de Apoyo

- Spend the day in Lagun de Apoyo and sleep there

- Next day hike Volcan Mombacho and return to Granada to sleep

- Go to San Juan del Sur

I wanted to know if anyone has tips about the following:

- Best way to get from Granada to Volcan Masaya (preferably not using public buses)

- Is there a way to store my larger bag in a hostel in Masaya or at the visitors center at the volcano while I hike the volcano, and then come pick it up again, because I want to sleep at Laguna de Apoyo that night

- Best way to get from Volcan Masaya/Masaya to Laguna de Apoyo

- Best way to get from Laguna de Apoyo to Volcan Mombacho

- Is there a way to store my larger bag at the visitor's center in Volcan Momacho or at a hostel near there

Thanks for the help!

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

I would stay the first two nights at the Laguna de Apoyo its closer from the airport if you come from there and Hotels there offer trasport/tours to the Vulcano cheaper than from Granada as it is closer...so you would not have the hassle where to deposit your bag. Afterwards i would stay two nights in Granada and from there you can make tour to Momabacho as this is easier to organize from Granada than from the Laguna.Sa

Salta

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

if you arent using public transportation, then your options are hire private transportation (either through a shuttle service, or a rental car agency), or take a taxi.

If you are not staying at a place, most will not allow you to just drop off your bag and leave it, but some may if you ask and offer to pay them a little for the service. If you are going to leave it in Masaya, why not just stop in Laguna De Apoyo and drop off your bag first? both options are out of your way a bit froma direct route between granada and the volcano. Another option might be to bring your bag, and see if you can leave it in the tourist center/museum while you go walking/hiking on the volcano, and pick it up on your way down again.

Same answers for the next 2 as the first one. You can either take a public bus which you mentioned you would rather not, so your only options are to hire private transportation, hire a taxi, or rent a car (which you would have to do ahead of time, as you cant rent a car FROM laguna de apoyo or the volcano)

also...whats up houston?!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

Greetings yschiff:

If your first tour stop is a morning hike of Masaya Volcano, I would stay nearer to Masaya if possible, not Granada, as it is backtracking to get to the volcano from there. So you could stay at Apoyo (further away from the airport) or nearer to Masaya (closer to the airport).

So IMO, your plan depends a bit on when your flight arrives. If it is a mid-day or afternoon flight, then go stay at Laguna de Apoyo. My guests and I like San Simian a lot, but Paradiso and others are nice too. But if your flight is late, I would stay on the south end of Managua going towards Masaya, Apoyo, and Granada that first night. But of course I would say that :)

That way, you could do your morning hike and get on to Apoyo afterwards. You could also include a quick tour of Masaya artisan's market and the town too as its on the way to Apoyo. Then the rest of your plan works perfectly. I do all of the above for visitors quite often.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
962 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

Based on your agenda, a night in Granada is fine...will get to see the nightlife as well as the other things that are more "historical". For the other places you mention, the Laguna, Mombacho I'd just stay on Mombacho. that way you can hike the Volcano...to the top and other hikes (you can skip masaya Volcano as you' ll get all the hikes and nature you need on Mombacho)...see a lot of nature, the coffee finca. And easy to get to Laguna de Apoyo from there .to spend the day at the lake/hike etc. Lots less moving about which is easier on you and also saves a lot of time moving from place to place to get set up. Can leave from Mombacho to SJDS

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

Wait wait wait... your itinerary is Monday - Friday and you are carrying more than one bag? And one is a large bag? Maybe you need packing advice more than advice on your itinerary.

You are going to be gone five days and will probably be wearing the same clothes for half of them. Pack 3 shirts and 1 pair of pants (not including what you are wearing when you leave). Bring a travel bottle of shampoo and bathe with that. No soaps, creams (maybe sunblock) or any perfume or smelly stuff. Leave your computer. If you can't pack it all into a normal carry-on sized daypack that you can comfortably carry around instead of having to leave at visitors centers then you have too much.

It's only 5 days.

A wise traveler once gave me sage advice that I follow to this day: if you aren't wearing all of your clothes on the coldest night of your trip, you brought too many clothes.

6. Re: Itinerary help Mon-Fri Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17