We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Nicaragua

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Nicaragua

Just looking for opinions here. My wife and I are taking our honeymoon in Nicaragua in August. With flights from Canada we have just over 10 full days in Nicaragua. We are interested in a mix of all the good stuff (colonial towns, beaches, volcanoes, parks/reserves).

We were looking at one of the two routes:

Option A: Granada and area- Isla de Ometepe- San Juan del Sur and area

Option B: Leon and area- beaches (Penitas, Jiquililo)- Granada and area

Any input would be great!

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
933 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

First, I think you are wise to do one itinerary or the other…too much make it a rush and a logo see.

My choice is Option B.

Leon and the beaches up that way are nice and have a character much different than SJDS. Some good "honeymoon" places to stay up there and you can get a good start at the regular Nicaragua as well in Leon. Three or four days is plenty.

Then head to Granada. A day or so is really all you need in the town. Head up Mombacho Volcano to get a really good feel for the "nature" part of Nicaragua. Lots to do…visit the coffee finch, the cloud forest at the top..plenty of hikes and and short, zip lining. All on there. Take a look at Mombacho Lodge…you can stay there..half way up the volcano so you can enjoy all this stuff and not be rushed. You can make easy day trips to Masaya and Caterina from there as well.

I think you can do all this in ten days in a relaxed way and see a lot of different things.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

i also pick B. Its a lot less touristy and party oriented, so you should have some good time to relax and chill and have some good alone honeymoon time on the northern beaches/towns.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

i would go for option C

Leon for historic colonial ciy and the vulcanos than Penitas or Juiquillo for the beaches and than i would go to Matagalpa or Jinotega for Cloud FOrest Nature Reserve..

Have a nice honeymoon

Salta

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
933 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

Salta.

What cloud forest nature reserve would you recommend up north in the areas you recommend?

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

Option B Sounds as a better options for the beaches on Leon area as there are less tourist and more a honeymoon situation.

Have a great honeymoon.

Byron.

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

There are not many options

Selva Negra

La Bastilla Eco Lodge

Esperanza Verde

El Jaguar Private Reserve

Selva Negra has probably the widest trails over 30 km...but mixed reports resently en respect of Cabanas and food . I was there 3 years ago and loved it.

La Bastilla Eco Lodge has no so wide hiking trails but the Lodge and Food is great..Have not been there but friends of my have been there.

Esperaza Verde was onetime a awardwining project the closet last year but found now a new owner so i really dont know hat it is now

El Jaguar is as far a i know best spot for birding in cloudforest...Food and Service is ok.

Hope that helps...

Salta

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
933 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

Salta….what you have listed on the lodges up north is about my take on them as well.

That is why I though south on Mombacho is a better choice….of the ones you list La Bastilla Eco Lodge is the one that fits the nature part best…but really off the beaten path. Also, accommodations are not always quite as they should be, especially for a Honeymoon. Selva Negra has crappy food and poor service and if you get stuck in an old cabin or room (as I did) it is absolutely terrible…but a nice setting on a very nice farm. The others I do to know.

Mombacho Lodge is close to Granada, so easy to get to and you can day trip into the city very easily…and half way up the volcano in the forest it is a cool spot for both nature and climate. I guess they should check out the reviews on here to see what others say.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 04:04
8. Re: Honeymoon in Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 06:15