We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Denver, Colorado
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
safety

I would like to visit Nicaragua soon. Friends of mine keep trying to convince me that it is dangerous to travel in Nicaragua right now because of all the unaccompanied minors fleeing to the US. They say it's the reason these kids are fleeing that make Nicaragua dangerous. I would like to hear from people actually living there currently to give me the 'boots on the ground' info.

Thanks,

Kathi

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

please do a search on the site to find the weekly posts/comments regarding safety. The topic has been discussed to death, and gets posted/asked at least once a week if not more.

There are some lengthy threads discussing safety on the first page or two of these forums, that may already answer your question.

Also, the unaccompanied minors are mostly from honduras, el salvador and guatemala. The large group that made the news, was mostly made up from those countries and only a handful were from Nicaragua. In fact, the Nicaraguan government wasnt even invited to be part of the recent talks with President Obama in addressing the situation, and upcoming legislation. In fact, a recent article mentioned that Nicaragua has been recieving many immigrants recently, and has had more incoming minors than outgoing minors in the last 2 years.

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
960 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

Safe as anyplace else, except Baltimore which is much more dangerous!

Got to use you head a bit as you do anyplace when traveling. Stay on the beaten track, with other people. Keep alert about what is going on around you (but not paranoid). No organized crime here...but a lot of snatch and grab as your camera is worth a ton to a street kid.

The kids to the States has absolutely nothing to do with nicaragua or the crime here or in other CA countries....i'd start getting my advice from someone else who reads the news.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

Greetings Kathi:

The Central American children are coming from countries other than Nicaragua. The reason they are fleeing places like Guatemala and Honduras is the lack of safety they have in those places. Nicaragua does not have that problem as there is a much better security and safety situation here. Don't let your friends push their ignorant notions onto you would be my advice. And have a great vacation in Nicaragua!

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

4. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16