We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laguna de apoya as a base

reading
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
laguna de apoya as a base

hello, we are going to have a 4x4 rental car and were wondering if we could use laguna de apoya as a base to explore Granada, Mombacho and Masaya instead of hopping from hotel to hotel. The areas seem very close. How long is the drive from Apoya to Granada? Also can you freshwater fish in lake apoya or lake Nicaragua and do you need a license? thank you

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laguna de apoya as a base

In a car, its about a half hour from the Laguna to Granada. Depending on where at the laguna you stay, but probably 30-45 minutes.

The fish in the Laguna are not very big, and from what everyone says the levels of sulfur and salt can get high there at cetain times (since its an old volcano), which can affect the growth, and sometimes flavor, of the fish. I know people who have gone there and caught tilapia though around 8 inches. Most of the restaurants in that area serve fish caught fresh from the lake.

From what i hear from the locals, is that you need a permit, though no one ever gets one because its not enforced. Hopefully someone else more experienced in teh fishing aspect can chime in.

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
962 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: laguna de apoya as a base

If that is your goal..a base to explore the area.......check out Mombacho Lodge.

Close to the Laguna so you can do day trips for the swimming.

Closer to Granada than staying at the Laguna.

Close to Masaya.

Best Nature stuff... monkeys in the trees above your cabin, etc. tons of trails. EZ acres to zip lines and the cloud forest at the top, and the coffee finch

Nice private cabins and cool weather.

Great meals.

I am not with the Lodge, but it is a missed gem in the area especially for someone who wants a base to explore the area.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 21:07
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
202 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laguna de apoya as a base

The Laguna is one of my favorite spots and would make a great base for the places/activities you described. The Laguna and surroundings are very tranquil, despite being close to Granada. I've stayed at San Simian a number of times and highly recommend it. Was just there in June for 5 nights while on a two week visit to Nicaragua, which also included Little Corn, Granada, and Playa El Coco.

Chichiriviche...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: laguna de apoya as a base

YOu can use the Laguna as base. It takes 30 Minutes to Granada, 25 Minutes to Masaya, 30 Minutes to the white villages and 40 Minutes to Vulcan Masaya or Vulcan Mombacho..YOu will wake up by sound of birds and howling monkees insead of firecrackers and street noise like in Granada.

Salta

reading
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: laguna de apoya as a base

thank you for the replies. In regard to fishing we would be catch and release fishing only. Would like to try to catching guapote, peacock bass which I think are in lake Nicaragua.

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
962 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: laguna de apoya as a base

Fishing in the lake is a waste of time. If you are and avid fisherman...get up early, shoot down to SJDS, rent a small boat and guide and of right off shore just a bit and catch all kinds of fish. You could leave at 7...fish and be back for dinner (maybe with some great fresh fish to cook up) by 6.

7. Re: laguna de apoya as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:15