We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help in Nicaragua

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help in Nicaragua

My husband and I, along with our teenage daughters (14 and 16) are planning a trip to Nicaragua this December. As of now, we plan on staying in Rancho Santana from Dec 24-28, so that will satisfy our beach part of our trip (we will likely visit San Juan del Sur from there as a day trip). Prior to arrival at Rancho Santana, will will have approx 4-5 days to do activities upon arrival in Managua. We are thinking of staying in the Mambacho Lodge in the Mombacho volcano area for two nights, but we aren't sure where else to stay for perhaps another 2 nights. We are thinking of visiting Masaya, the Laguna de Apoyo and/or the islands in Lake Nicaragua, near Granada. Are these good options or can anyone recommend others in this general area of Nicaragua? also, where should we stay - in Granada, and if so, do you have recommendations? And how about transportation - can someone recommend either a driver or a tour company that can help us with activities and logistics? I know this is a lot to ask for, but the more info, the better for us! Thanks so much in advance.

Green Pathways
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
962 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help in Nicaragua

Sounds like a decent itinerary. Mombacho Lodge at the start is a good choice as you can get into Granada in 20 minutes and do a full day there....see the town and isletas. One day, spend time on the mountain with the nature and zip lines, etc. You can also do a nice day trip to the Laguna and also to Masaya and the white villages from Mombacho...just stay an extra day...they are all close. I am not sure what you gain from staying in Granada...night time is bar time there so a good day trip to there is plenty.

If you have time...like three days...Ometepe is a good choice. you can get there from Mombacho on day 1 by 1 PM full or so and spend the next full day there for day 2 and take the ferry back on day 3 and head to the beach. Less days than that and the travel takes too much of the time.

You could also move to the Laguana rather than stay the whole Granada time at Mombacho...but not sure what the move gets you as a day trip to the Laguna will get you the water time you need and the facilties are not better than on Mombaco (and some a lot worse)...so you don't have to move .

If you want the name of a great transport guy...great new cars..safe and reliable ( I use him every month at least once), PM me. You really do not need a tour company for this...will just make it all move slower for you. The Lodge people can give you more instructions than you need.

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help in Nicaragua

Thanks. I would love the name of the driver. The woman from mombacho lodge gave me one too, but i would like more than one option and to compare prices. Thanks for all your wonderful feedback

Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help in Nicaragua

After Rancho Santana and Mombacho Lodge i would stay at the Laguna de Apoyo...Its the most unique place in Nicaragua and you can easy organize day trips to Isletas (3o Minutes) Masaya (25 Minutes) VUlcan Masaya (40 Minutes). Hotels in the Laguna will heip you to set up transfer. For Hotel with proper Restaurant check out Posade de Abuela, Apoyo Resort and Spa and San Simian Lodge..

Enjoy Nicaragua

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
239 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help in Nicaragua

All of your hotels can help set you up with a driver. You don't need to plan this part until you get there (though, you might want a prearranged driver to pick you up from the airport).

If you want to do some sightseeing with a guide, you can easily hire one, as opposed to looking for an agency.

I used Byron Ortega when I was in Granada. He posts frequently on this forum. I am quite happy to recommend Byron.

5. Re: itinerary help in Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor