We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scam,Fraud Car Rental at Airport (Alamo, National & Enterpri

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Scam,Fraud Car Rental at Airport (Alamo, National & Enterpri

Car Rental Scam at Managua and San Jose Airports

Dear fellow travelers,

On 01/14/2018 I booked a rental car at Managua Airport with ORBITZ, Alamo (National, Enterprise), BAC Credomatic, Autos de Alquiler, S.A. for 5 days starting on 01/18/2018 and completing on 1/22/2018. The reservation booking was confirmed.

Upon arrival the night of 01/18/2018 at the Alamo counter at Managua Airport the counter representative stated “there were NO cars in their pool available and there was nothing she could do about it”. I was traveling with two small children and due to the emergency I had to find a different car rental to arrive at our final destination. At National rental car I was offer the only car available at a cost of 8 times the original cost of the reservation. Due to the emergency situation I had no option but to take the car at any cost.

Upon returning the car on 1/22/2018, I discover that the 3 rental companies (Alamo, National and Enterprise) are managed by the same company in Central America (Autos de Alquiler, SA) and use the same pool of cars. They run this fraud of not finding cars to force the tourist to rent another car with one of the other representatives at several times the original cost of the reservation.

To my knowledge the company Autos de Alquiler SA, operates in Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

Currently I am working with ORBITZ to receive compensation for the overage with no conclusive results. I have spent over 3 hours on the telephone with them.

The next step will be to take legal procedures with my squire in order to prevent this fraudulent activity to other travelers.

Your attention and consideration to this is appreciated in order to keep this world a better place to all.

2 replies to this topic
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scam,Fraud Car Rental at Airport (Alamo, National & Enterpri

Today 1/25/2018

Luis a Manager from ANC Group who manages Alamo, National and Enterprise in Nicaragua and Costa Rica got in touch with me and assured me that he will find the responsible people and this type of activity will NOT be tolerated. No future tourist will be taken advantage. Happy travels! Enjoy the natural beauty of both places!

Thanks Luis and I will hold you to your word.

IJY

Miami, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scam,Fraud Car Rental at Airport (Alamo, National & Enterpri

Omg I'm going in April. I am afraid of having the same issue. I will quote dollar rent car but still I am reading lot of reviews of hiding fees in rent a car companies in Nicaragua. I travel lot and I am use to rent a car but is the first time will do in Nica. Also I was advised to check they have triangle and extinguisher in case the police stop you and also to take pics of the car before leave so they don't want to charge you for scratches =(

Reply to: Scam,Fraud Car Rental at Airport (Alamo, National & Enterpri
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Managua