We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from the airport to Managua city

Which Managua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
6 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from the airport to Managua city

I am planning to arrive at Managua airport around 9PM and stay in Martha Quezada. Is taking a taxi from the airport safe? How much would it cost? I found a website of City Discovery that provides shuttle service to town. It costs $19. Have anyone used this service?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

I have worked as a travel planner and a tur guide for four years all together and i do not recommend for you to go to Martha Quezada, this is not a recommnedable place for you to visit. If your plans are to go to Granada the next day, i recommend for you to take a shuttle to Granada which is only 45 minutes away. If you need further assistance please reply to rodolfo.nicaragua@hotmail.com

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

Thank you very much for your reply. Is Martha Quezada very dangerous? Is it safe to travel late at night from Managua airport to Gradada? Would appreciate it if you could recommend nice hotels in Granada. No need to be a fancy place but I would like to stay at a clean place with hot shower.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

Transfers to Granada can be done at any time of day or night, Theres is a lot of places with the charateristics that you are looking for in Granada, different budgets. Definetely recommend Hotel Cocibolca, Hotel Casa San Martin, Hotel Casona de los Estrada, Hotel Casa La Merced. If you need any assistance please contact me at rodolfo.nicaragua@hotmail.com

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

Nemi,

When I was in Managua, I stayed in the Holiday Inn. Not cheap by Nicaragua standards, though less expensive then the other US chain hotels, and still a comfortable stay by even US standards. Unfortunately, I can't comment one way or the other on Martha Quezada, other than if it is near Mercado Oriental, my information is Mercado Oriental is not recommended for visitors to frequent (though I think I accidentally made it there without incident one time I was in Managua).

This all said, is there a compelling reason to stay in Managua? My experience is the capital city offered little to the tourist, other than a place to "park" while waiting to go to other locations in Nicaragua.

For shuttle service, I used Paxeos to/from Granada and was pleased with their service. Look them up online and contact them ahead of time. They seemed to be responsive to me and had no troubles arranging service with them. I also used Paxeos to/from San Juan del Sur. That's not to say there aren't other good shuttle services, just that Paxeos offered me good service.

USA
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

Thank you so much both for your valuable advice. I think I will skip Managua and spend some more time in Granada.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

Nemi,

That's probably a good idea, I don't think you're missing much by not spending much time in Managua. Besides Granada and San Juan del Sur, I have heard Leon is interesting (though have not made it there). Matagalpa is also supposed to be interesting, though a bit more of a drive/ride.

Germany
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

in my opinion Managua is not so bad as all the desciptions before. Managua is not a touristic city because the old center was destroyed by the earthquake in 72. But there are some points to visit. The viewpoint of Tiscapa, the National Palace, the old cathedral for example. When i visit Nicaragua i stay arriving one night in Managua in the hotel "La Pyrámide" - a very nice small hotel in the center of Managua nearby the living zone. http://www.lapyramidehotel.com The next day i contract a transfer/tourguide from Cocopeli-Tours and we visit all the mencioned places and one of the central markets. Then they drive me to Granada visiting different places on the way (Volcano Masaya, Masaya, Catarina Viewepoint). This is a good option to know Managua and begin you trip with a touristic transfer. If you need more information i recommend you highly Cocopeli-Tours - a small touroperator in Managua. They are very nice and have fair rates. Get in touch with them: www.cocopeli-tours.com

8. Re: Taxi from the airport to Managua city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 17:22