We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

fort worth
Level Contributor
208 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

I arrive on COPA airlines in managua at 15:11 PM on 12/19/2009 and I am wondering if it is worth renting a car from avis to get to the barcelo beach resort.

Sunset is at 17:25 PM that day.

How are the roads from the airport to the barcelo montelimar resort? are they well marked?

How long a drive will it take? I am looking probably at getting through customs and then to the Avis rental around 16:00PM. Does that leave enough time to drive to the resort without any problems?

I fly back to the states on 12/26/2009 at 8:35 AM.

The other option is to use Barcelos shuttle service. Does anybody know about the resort and the day trips offered by tour companies there if I don't rent a car?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

You can get a private transfer from Managua Airport to Barcelo for US$60.00 this will be faster so that you can see the sunset, this way you will not have to go though the paperwork of renting a car.

Barcelo is about 1 hour and fifteen minutes from the airport, the road is in pretty good condition, some people do tours with Barcelo directly or they hire a tour operator to provide tours for them, for the transfer and tours i will recommend Nicaragua Escapade, www.nicaraguaescapade.weebly.com thy will offer anything you need.

Lake County...
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

We used the hotel taxi service last Friday from the hotel to the airport. The cost was $70.00 and worth every penny. If you are not used to driving in central America, it can be a harrowing experience. Once you arre at the Barcelo, it's just not worth it to have a car there. By the time you pay the daily fee, insurance, etc., best to leave the driving to the professionals.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

Hi

I haven't been for a few years, but we stayed near Barcelo at a small resort called Vistmar. They picked up and dropped off. The road was pretty rough, I am not intimidated driving in Cuba and the roads in El Salvador last year were good, but I was glad we had a local driver in Nica. Gigantic potholes that you would fall into ... I'd drive if I had to, but take it slow.

San Juan del Sur
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

Hi there,

We are a shuttle airport company that offers transportation services at all destiny of Nicaragua, you can contact directly info@iskratravel.com,

Regards,

fort worth
Level Contributor
208 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

Thanks. I got a driver and took your recommendation.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

Hi!

I did a couple day trips from the hotel - FYI there are lots of things to do from the hotel.

Mombacho - the volcano tour and the zip line...it was under $100 US including a lunch. It was a great time!

Also did the the Masaya market and hammock factory. Cheap hammocks!

They also had trips to Grenada and Leon which I would love to do next time.

Have a great vacation!

Kelly

7. Re: travel from managua to barcelo resort in Montelimar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Managua