We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety question and car rental question

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Safety question and car rental question

When we take our trip to Nicaragua , we will arrive in Managua airport around 930pm. Is Managua safe these days? We want to get to Leon as soon as possible and thinking about renting a car. Should we wait till the morning to rent a car or just rent a car when we get there to get the heck out of Managua? Please advise. We like traveling but we want to be smart travelers and like to be aware of safety issues. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety question and car rental question

why don´t get a transfer service to Leon and get a car rental there, is not that fun arriving at night to a place that you don´t know and driving at night, worse at a road like that is not safe driving at night in that road.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety question and car rental question

I think you would be better off waiting until the next day. Aside from safety, Nicaraguan roads are very confusing.

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety question and car rental question

@KingDin: What hotel in Leon are you staying at? Contact them ahead of time and see if they have their own taxi service with a driver that will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel in Leon. I agree with the other two contributors about driving around at night. Keep in mind that although you will arrive at the airport at 930pm, you probably won't finish up with immigration and physically be able to leave the airport until 1015 or 1030pm. They didn't have a lot of immigration officers working a month ago when I arrived at night!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety question and car rental question

Thank for the tips. Im going to check with the hotel in Leon first to see if they offer anything. If not what are some safe trustworthy transport to Leon at night around that time?

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
850 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety question and car rental question

@KingDin: I did some searching through Google and found a company called Paxeos. Looks like they charge $75 plus a $10 night fee for 1 to 2 people to travel from the airport in Managua to Leon. The Paxeos website is located at: http://www.paxeos.com/inicio.htm. You can select the English version on the lower left of that page, then select "Shuttles and Prices" on the next page, and finally "Mangua International Airport to Leon" on the next page. Then you are given a chance to reserve the shuttle. Hope this helps!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety question and car rental question

Hotel La Perla in Leon offers transport from the airport for $65

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety question and car rental question

Good responses to the OP!

Yes definitely do not drive at night to Leon by yourself.

If it were me, after flying all day, getting into a (very) foreign country late at night, the last thing I would want to do is get into a van and drive an hour plus just to get to my hotel by midnight.

There are plenty of places in Managua to get a good night's sleep where you can start fresh the next morning.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety question and car rental question

thanks for the response, we have arranged for transportation to our hotel in Leon that night.

9. Re: Safety question and car rental question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2012, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Managua