We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and around Managua, Nicaragu

Which Managua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greensboro, GA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
In and around Managua, Nicaragu

Husband and I are going on a tour in Central America in mid April. Would like to stop in Managua before flying to San Salvador to start the tour. Any suggestions for hotels and things to see and do in the area. Don't plan to stay more than 3 days.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

if staying in Managua no more than 3 days you can do day trips to masaya, granada and Leon.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

I would recommend "La Pyramide", a nice but small hotel in the middle of the city. The owner who speaks Spanish, English, and German, can provide you any information. He will pick you up at the airport day or night, and take you to the airport from the hotel.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 23:54
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

Consider staying in Granada instead of Managua...45 minutes away...a very walkable colonial city. Read some posts on both cities

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

There's more flexibility in Granada, easy to get in and out of town. Less hustle and bustle.

However, really enjoyed my stay at La Pyramide Hotel (check out the reviews), which is a very peaceful place, walking distance to Hippos neighborhood.

Didn't see too much in Managua, but Los Huebles Market and Puerto Salvador Allende were good places to go on a Sunday afternoon.

We had a great dinner near La Pyramide at Restaurant Dona Haydee.

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
95 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

Donya Haydee is a great restaurant...I second Joshbash's recommendation for that place...has good typically Nicaraguan food.

Managua - you can 'see' (there isn't really a whole lot to see as in the traditional sense) the entire city's sites in <1 day. I'd recommend getting in touch with Nica Adventures - they can set you up with a brilliant tour guide + driver at a reasonable rate.

The hotel I'd recommend is Camino Real - it certainly isn't boutiquey like La Pyramide nor is it in city centre. It does however, provide a nice respite from the world just beyond its perimeter. It has a nice pool, great buffet breakfast, tennis courts etc.

Also, as the others have echoed and I shall also, you really don't need to spend much time in Managua - unless business or some compelling reason keeps you there. You could spend a day/night then I'd go to another town. Granada is more in line with what you'd expect a central American town to look like.

Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

Hello....

We will be staying one night in Managua and will fly the next day to BC?LC Islands. How far is La Pyramide from the airport?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

By car, it took about 20 minutes.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
903 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

I would check the recent NY Times Travel article, "36 hours in Nicaragua" for some ideas: …nytimes.com/2012/09/16/travel/36-hours-in-m…

The only thing they missed IMO is the Malecon and Puerto Salvador Allende. This is all re-done and very nice place to relax by the lake and enjoy something to eat or drink.

Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

Gracias.....

Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In and around Managua, Nicaragu

Gracias Mike..... I checked our your website and I'll be shooting you email in a bit