We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Question

Which Managua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Question

Hola! My husband and I are staying in Nicaragua for our honeymoon May 3rd-11th. We need some help figuring out the cheapest (yet easiest and safest ways) to get between cities if anyone has a recommendation and what it should cost. We are big budgeters and just like to know in advance.

1st) Managua --> Laguna De Apoyo (We have a flight landing at 11 am at the Airport) and are staying for 2 nights.

2) Apoyo --> Merida on Ometepe

3) Merida --> Playa Marsella in SJDS

4) SJDS --> Managua

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Question

This include to get different buses and not all of them run that often that mean that sometimes you will there waiting for a long time to get this buses. Because from Managua to Apoyo u need at least 3 or 4 buses and from Apoyo to merida at least 6 so i think the easiest will be to rent a car.

Isla de Ometepe...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Question

if you wanna travel by bus which is by far the cheapest way, there are tons of buses running from apoyo/managua area to Rivas/San Jorge, ferries to Ometepe are very frequent, if you catch the 1:30 pm ferry/lancha you would be able to catch the bus to merida, if you wanna go slightly fancier you can get a cab to merida which would be between $30 to $40 or a good option is renting either a motorcycle or an ATV so you have a cool way to get around, once out of the island making it to san juan del sur is really easy, you can get more details from the hotels/hostels you stay at.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Question

You can rent a car fairly inexpensively ($225 for the period with base insurance) and get to all those places on safe roads and your own schedule. The kicker will your return flight. If it is the early morning United flight you will have to either turn your car the day before and stay in Managua or do an early morning run in the dark (I've done it, but you have to keep you wits about you). The places you are going are all "on the map" and should be easy find your way to on your own. Who knows, driving in an unknown land mind be a binding experience? Having done it in Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, the Dominican Rep. and Mexico, I can tell you, it can be fun, interesting, sometimes tedious and also stressful.....not unlike marriage

Happy Trail

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Question

Greetings love2travelfromnc:

I can address the Managua to Apoyo run. The rest are pretty straightforward. As for your budgeting, if you are taking buses you really needn't bother keeping track of the prices, as the cost is ridiculously low to travel on the public buses in Nicaragua. It is like $3 to go from Managua to SJdS for example which is a journey of over two hours. I'm certain that won't break your bank!

First, I always like to use the website:

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ni/index.php

to plan your bus trips.

It will also tell you which bus station your bus leaves from. In this case, you will need to get from the airport to La UCA (pronounced "La OOKA") to catch your first bus.

To do this as cheaply as possible, first off, don't bring lots of luggage. I recommend one backpack and maybe a small day pack only. Second, from the airport, it is best you take a taxi to La UCA. Do not take an airport taxi as they charge way more then will a regular taxi.

Exit the terminal and cross the Carretera Norte (the highway in front of the airport) where you will see Best Western Las Mercedes. When you cross, there will be taxis either on the road waiting for you, or you can flag one down. (Believe me, they will honk and if you show the slightest interest they will stop and ask where you are going.)

Negotiate a fare to La UCA before getting into the taxi. You should pay no more then $100 cordobas (maybe add 50 cords more for the gringo tax!) If you are only two in your party and don't have a bunch of luggage you are more likely to succeed. The driver may quote you in dollars, and he will try maybe $10 which is 240 cordobas at present, or over twice what you should pay. So have cordobas on hand.

Then when at La UCA you will look for the next Expresso a Masaya. From Masaya you will take an Ordinario a Laguna Apoyo. Just keep in mind that what would be a 45 minute trip in taxi will take you almost two hours by bus, so even though you save money, it means that much less time to enjoy the beautiful Laguna Apoyo on that first day.

If it were me, I would arrange for a taxi to take me all the way to Apoyo. It would probably cost $30 or less but you would get there so much more quickly and with a lot less hassle!

Cheers,

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

5. Re: Transportation Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 05:15