We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoping for a little advice on a place to live/rent in June

Which Managua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Hoping for a little advice on a place to live/rent in June

Hello all, for work I will be conducting a little research in Granada a couple days in the month of June. I decided to stretch out my Central America trip and just stay for the month. I'm not stuck on living in Granada if I have better options and would love a little advice!

The main things I would need:

A location with access to decent Spanish Schools (but it seems like those are everywhere in the country)

An area with monthly rentals that aren't too high priced (any advice on rental listings would be awesome also! I checked airbnb and vrno but they seem to cater to American money), and would have very reliable wifi. I would be teaching a summer class online, thus the reason for wifi and why I can't do a homestay

An area with access to fun things to do!

Is Granada my best bet? Managua? Any better choices less mainstream?

Thanks in advance!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoping for a little advice on a place to live/rent in June

Granada is one of the most expensive places in the country because its the most touristy (seconded only by san juan del sur)

and most all the listings on those websites are for tourists, by tourists. So its going to cater to the more affluent people in amounts expected by foreigners.

Honestly, the best way to find places here is word of mouth. Just show up in an area you are looking to move toand start asking around. Most people know someone, or an uncle of a cousin who has a house for rent. Granted, much of whats available by locals is not as luxurious as the foreigner built homes on airbnb, but its way cheaper. Ive always found my places to live, and friends that move/stay long term down here just by word of mouth and walking around. And generally, its at least half as cheap as they had found in online listings. Real estate agents, and online listings generally expect to be dealing with foreigners, and foreigners mean money and so things will be priced accordingly. On the other hand, you have more guarantees and less stress when things are taken care of for you and you do nothing but hand over the money. depends which is important to you.

While i like managua, and live here myself, its not for everyone. Its very different than anywhere else in the country.

I think the first thing to do would be to figure out where you want. Do you want near the beach? in a big city? small village? in the mountains where its cooler? in a tourist town? etc. Go get a hostel/hotel in the town and spend a few days looking around and asking various people. Walk around and look at for rent/for sale signs as 95% of them wont be listed online anywhere.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoping for a little advice on a place to live/rent in June

Thank you for the advice and feedback!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoping for a little advice on a place to live/rent in June

Greetings Ascohen11180:

I would suggest checking in to Mariposa Spanish School in La Concepcion (aka La Concha). This is a small village located in the Pueblos Blancos in-between San Marcos and Ticuantepe. They offer eco-lodging, homestays and since it is not a touristy area (at all!) once you get there you would be able to find something for a reasonable price and have the assistance of the school too.

I've had guests stay there for weeks and they raved about not only the quality of the instruction, but the great social programs that they sponsor which you can attend. They also have outings to places like Laguna de Apoyo, Granada, Masaya, etc.

http://mariposaspanishschool.com/

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

4. Re: Hoping for a little advice on a place to live/rent in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32