We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

Always changing
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

I'm in Nicaragua now but need to get to Guatamala, preferably the capital. I don't care how rough or long the journey might be but what is the cheapest way to get there from there safely?

I was thinking to take several lower class buses or something like this but have no idea how. Would most likely depart from either Managua, Leon, or somewhere near the border of Nica, where ever is cheaper.

Any suggestions??

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
960 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

Is your Spanish reasonable?

If so, you could likely make it by patching together the equivalent of a chicken bus network...from any place in Nica to Guat. City. I think three switches to Honduras and then four to get to Guat. border and two more there to get to Guat city. Outside of getting to the border here, the rest will likely have tp be done on the fly once you get to some destination in each country working your way up.

Actually should not be all that hard...just keep moving North and pretty soon you will get to a bus for Guatemala city.

If you factor in meals and sleeping for 4 days/nights might be Tica or Nica bus is a better option. Given your question on here and the fact that you have no clue where to start...Tica bus might be your best bet for just a bt more....certainly not as much of an adventure though.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

The cheapest will be local buses. Take a local bus in Nicaragua to the border, which should cost you just a few bucks depending where you are in the country. Then on the Honduras side, get a local bus north, to the next border, etc.

Each country has local buses that are pretty frequent and very cheap.

Its not the most comfortable ride and is generally the slowest way, but its pretty cheap. maybe 25 bucks (plus border fees)

You can get a private bus line that is faster and does the border paperwork for you (you still have to pay the fees), a one way ticket from managua is around 50 bucks. Check places like TicaBus, King Quality, etc.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

The cheapest will be to get the early bus From Tica Bus or Transportes del Sol. WHY? Because you can stay at Tica bus for US$14 dollars and get on one single day to Guatemala city.

On the other hand if you travel just by chicken buses there is a good chance that spend more than two days travelling from Nicaragua to Guatemala because they are quite slow and you have to wait for the next one sometimes more than an hour so that means more meals and more lodged, also theft happens on the local buses in Honduras or Guate so if you are tired from travelling watch out you fall asleep as you can end up with less things.

Have a safe trip

Always changing
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

I'm looking online but everywhere says Tica bus costs more than $50... Where can I find it for $14??

Alternatively, how many chicken buses would I need to take and would it be reasonably safe considering that I'm a tall, very white blonde guy with a backpack full of valuables :/

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

He wasnt saying the Tica Bus ticket was $14. He was saying that staying in the Tica Bus hotel is $14.

His point was that you could stay the night in a TicaBus hotel, and leave early on the bus, and make it in one full day. Cutting down your costs on food, and lodging. If you go the local bus way, the local buses are much cheaper, but they make the trip a lot longer, so you will need to buy more food, and possibly pay for places to stay the night, etc. Depending on what kind of traveler you are, those costs can add up, and it ends up being more expensive. If you are a basic traveler like me, the local chicken buses will be a cheaper option overall, even if you do have to stay the night somewhere.

Safety is relative. No one can guarantee your safety, and no one can guarantee something will happen. Many people have taken longer trips than you and had perfectly safe trips, others have something bad happen on a short local trip. Use common sense, and you should be OK, but be aware there is always a chance of something happening.

You would need a handful of chicken buses. You can get from Managua to the Honduras border in one that costs about 4 bucks. Then from the Honduras side its either 1 or two. I think the local bus goes to Choluteca, and then one from Choluteca to the El Salvador border. 2 in El Salvador (one from the Honduras border to San Salvador, and one from San Salvador to the Guatemala border). Then one more bus from the border to Guatemala City.

Alternatively you can skip El Salvador completely and go all the way through Honduras, from the border to Choluteca, from Choluteca to Tegucigalpa, and from Tegucigalpa to the border of Guatemala. (though i think you have to take two buses....one to san pedro de sula, and one from SPDS to the border). So you skip a border and entering one country, but it adds significant time to your journey.

6. Re: Cheapest way from Nica to Guatamala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Managua