We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama Canal Cruise/yellow fever vaccine

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Panama Canal Cruise/yellow fever vaccine

I am from UK and have booked a cruise through the panama canal in september. I have got conflicting advice about the yellow fever vaccine. I will be sailing from San Fransisco, , sailing through Babo San Lucas, Acapulco, Huatulco, Puntaranus, Panama Canal, Cristobel Pier, Cartegna and arriving in Fort Lauderdale. Do I need this vaccine?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama Canal Cruise/yellow fever vaccine

Bumping as I too, would like to know if the yellow fever vaccine is mandatory now to enter Panama? It is hard to get vaccinated with this where we live, so need to know this. Thanks for this much needed advice.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama Canal Cruise/yellow fever vaccine

OK, to answer the question, Yellow Fever vaccine is ONLY required for travelers coming from endemic regions (regions with potential risk). So, in your case, no.

for more info go to (Panama's tourism minister on vaccines and visas):

But, let me clarify, one thing is required and another is recommended. Even though there have been no reported human cases of yellow fever for many, many years in Panama, some areas of Panama (Darien, eastern Panama province, Mainland San Blas) are still considered "endemic". The reason is that yellow fever can still exist in the reservoirs (monkeys/mosquitoes). Since DDT was outlawed there hasn't been a good way of keeping these things at bay. Going through the canal, or to the western part of Panama is safe. A high percentage of the population of Panama is vaccinated, although it's not currently required. Just use common sense, use mosquito repellent, as you would in the U.S. to prevent West Nile. Remember there's also Dengue Fever, which is actually more common, transmitted by the same mosquito AND no vaccine available. Malaria prophylaxis only if going to the endemic areas.

CDC recommendations on Yellow fever and malaria:

3. Re: Panama Canal Cruise/yellow fever vaccine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 16:24