We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry requirements Panama

Cincinnati, Ohio
10 posts
Save Topic
Entry requirements Panama

Hi,

We are taking a 3-week trip and planning to fly into Panama City and out of San Jose, Costa Rica. I have read that upon arrival into Panama you must show a return ticket out of Panama. I travel a lot and I know that most countries have this "rule", but it is not often enforced. What is the case with Panama? If this is enforced at the airport, how can we get around it? Our departure out of Panama will likely be by bus into Costa Rica on the Caribbean side.

Panama, Rep de...
Level Contributor
261 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry requirements Panama

If you are a US Citizen, you only need a valid passport and to purchase a tourist card ($5) before you enter Panama. They may ask you how are you going to return, and you can tell them that you are continuing to Costa Rica by Bus.

BTW, Costa Rica is West of Panama, and not on the caribbean side. The Caribbean side is north.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry requirements Panama

"BTW, Costa Rica is West of Panama, and not on the caribbean side. The Caribbean side is north."

I think she means the Sixaola border crossing, which IS on the Caribbean/North side of the Panama-CR border.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry requirements Panama

BTW, Costa Rica is West of Panama, and not on the caribbean side. The Caribbean side is north.

I don't even understand this statement. Yes there is often confusion with direction in Panama due to it being a thin East-West running country but Costa Rica and Panama share a border to the west of Panama City from the Caribbean to the Pacific - I think.

4. Re: Entry requirements Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 06:19