We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Panama the place we should go?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Panama the place we should go?

My boyfriend and I (27 and 29) are trying to plan a trip. We were originally thinking of going to Playa Del Carmen (Riviera Maya) however he was told Panama might also be a good option. This is what we are looking for:

Nice hotel on the beach

Walking distance to restaurants, bars, some nightlife

Easily accessible to outdoor sports- snorkeling, zip lining, hiking, kayaking, etc..

We are willing to pay a decent amount of money but don't want to go overboard. In addition, I don't want to have to do a lot of planning in regards to getting around. Ideally I'd like us to be able to have a home base then go on various day excursions from there. Is this possible in Panama, or are we better off sticking to PDC? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Panama the place we should go?

The short answer would be no. Sounds to me that what you want is to stay in a large all-inclusive resort with a nice beach and close nightlife. That type of pre-packaged vacation is better in Mexico. You can find all you are asking for in Panama but it would take more planning. Panama is more for the adventurous who would rather see more authentic stuff rather than the typical AI vacation.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Panama the place we should go?

Thanks Tupapi! I'm thinking the same thing. Panama sounds absolutely wonderful but part of me just wants something easy. I can see it would definitely take more planning and a lot more travel if I went there versus Mexico. We do like to get off the beaten path and don't want to be stuck at our hotel, but we would like the option to walk from our room onto a nice beach and stay there all day if we choose. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

3. Re: Is Panama the place we should go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2009, 10:12
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Panama the place we should go?

Hi we just returned from our first trip to Panama City and Taboga Island. We are not all -inclusive type travelers. However, I wouldn't recommend either destination based on what you had in mind.

Just as an aside, we were shocked at how run down and garbage strewn Taboga was. It was disturbing to walk through glass, garbage and people urinating to get to the beach. The beach itself was lovely.

5. Re: Is Panama the place we should go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 00:20