We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

panama driving

california
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
panama driving

I am travelling to Panama with my bf next week and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on my itinerary. We will be there for 10 days and will be going to colombia after for a wedding so we will be lugging around 17 days of clothing with us. So, I wanted to know if renting a car would be the easiest way for us to get around given our luggage situation.

Here's what I am thinking of:

1 san blas (can u recommend a hotel)

2 san blas

3 san blas

4 panama city

5 panama city

6 drive to boquete

7 boquete

8 boquete

9 drive to bocas

10 bocas

11 drive bk to panama city

Need help! Thank you!

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: panama driving

Are you going directly to San Blas upon arrival? The car won't help much for days 1-2-3. I'd stay someplace in PC the first night, stash the majority of your luggage with the hotel, and fly to San Blas with just what you need for San Blas (not much). Then pick up your luggage and rent a car when you return to PC, and use it for the remaining days. You could do it all via bus, but a car will give you a lot more freedom, and will definitely ease the luggage hassle.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: panama driving

To add to Exilio's advice:

You really don't need a car at all for the first 5 days - driving around the city these days is a major pain - use taxis to get to where you want to as you won't be lugging about all your clothing with you.

You also don't need or use your car when in Bocas - you will be parking it in Almirante while over in the islands. You also will use up 2 full days of your holidays driving to Boquete and back from Bocas.

If your bags aren't too much over 35lbs you could fly to David and rent a car for the time in Boquete so you can explore the area easily. If your timing is right you can turn the car back in at David and fly to Bocas - flights are only on Monday/Wednesday/Friday though. And then fly from Bocas back to Panama City (baggage on these flights is only 25lbs usually).

If you have stuff that you will only be using in Colombia for the wedding - pack all that stuff in a separate bag and leave it at the hotel in Panama City - most hotels will do that for you, especially if you will be staying your last night there.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

california
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: panama driving

Thank you! I was wondering if you have any recommendations on where to stay in San Blas?

Also, I heard that crimes have doubled...is it safe to take the overnight bus to david? Please advise. Thank you!

4. Re: panama driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 15:20