We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking information on Colon, Panana

nc
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking information on Colon, Panana

We will be arriving in Colon,Panama. Since we have no knowledge whatsoever of the area any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. We need to go to Curundu Heights and Corozal. Can someone please tell us how long it takes to get there from Colon? Is there taxi/bus service or do you suggest renting a car?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking information on Colon, Panana

Colon is very, I mean very dangerous curundu also can be very dangerous at night please check about Colon in forums to be sure what I am talking about.

Anyway with a bus its not possible coz you are in Central America not in Europe second option renting a car its possible but you will pay maybe 20% less then to hire some taxi driver to do all for you with no risk no confusion at risk to get lost in bad neighborhood in Curundo or worst in Colon.

So my advice pick up the taxi,make a deal for all day for 150 USD and do what you want with out stress

if you need recomendation for good driver who speak english you can ask me

Have a nice day

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking information on Colon, Panana

$150 for a taxi for the day is in my opinion OTT, Alison

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking information on Colon, Panana

Agreed, unless it's a very long day; normally it's around $8-10/hour.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking information on Colon, Panana

Yikes

DsgNyc must be a taxi driver or a buddy of a taxi driver, advice is good, but the cost is at least double what you should pay.

Times are a little tough, you should be able to negoiate a good rate, $8 an hour I think would be fair.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking information on Colon, Panana

OK I am living here as foreigner and I am working with a foreigner who are coming here.

Everything hase a price, its try you can find cheaper but it will be car probably with out AC,driver will not be able to understand not even one word of english and he will take all shortcut to spend less gas and we are talking here about Curundu!! if you don't know what is Curundu please don't give friendly advice coz we are talking about extremly dangerous place after 7 pm.

If you don't have real friend who can find you taxi for 8-10 USD per hour in the City not Colon and City please don't risk and play to find taxi alone especially from Colon.

Take care and think twice

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking information on Colon, Panana

How are you arriving in Colon? Cruise ship?

What are you planning on doing in Curundu Heights and Corozal - these are now mainly lower level housing since the US bases closed - not completely as there are more upper market areas within both. Is this for sightseeing of an old house you lived in or are you visiting friends?

Also what is your time frame - are you here just for on day on a cruise ship stopover?

All this will help give you the correct advice - just hiring a taxi driver from Colon is not necessarily the right choice as he may not be that familiar with the Panama City side of the country.

Cheers,

Andrew

7. Re: Seeking information on Colon, Panana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 05:18