We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Panama - help with preliminary planning

NYC
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to Panama - help with preliminary planning

I'm thinking about 2 weeks in Panama this winter and wanting to schedule a couple of days in Panama City, a few days in the mountains, and the remainder on a beach lounging.

I am not a budget traveler when it comes to lodging, so some ideas....

Panama City

Luxury hotel, great location, nice amenities, super clean, outstanding service. Looking for a high end into to Panama City.

Mountains

Luxury eco-lodge? Does it exist? I can do rustic, but I need a nice bed/linens, and super clean. Would like to do a couple of guided day hikes in the jungle.

Beach

I would prefer to rent a private villa for 1 week, either on or walking distance to a sandy beach with quiet surf. prefer private location but near a town for dinners out. Not at all a big fan of crowded tourist hotels or B&Bs with no privacy.

Do you have any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Coronado Concierge Panama
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Monkey Island Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Detroit
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Panama - help with preliminary planning

As your post states you are looking for high end accomendations in Panama City I would stay at The Bristol Hotel. It's about $300-$350 per night. (NO Pool) It is very nice, clean and the staff is helpful and english speaking. It is located in the financial district of PC in a very safe a secure location with many great restaurants that you can walk to or catch a short taxi ride ($2.00-3.00 A "high end" restaurant I will recommend to you is LA POSTA & Market. Both restaurants are owned by an American from NYC and he's done a nice job with both places. I consider LA POSTA a good place for a proper business lunch/meeting and romantic at night. The prices are very reasonable for such nice restaurants. I was there a month ago and became a big fan of The Bristol and both restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
washington, dc
Level Contributor
265 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Panama - help with preliminary planning

Check out Coffee Estates Inn just outside Boquete for your "mountain" piece. It's not an "eco-lodge" per se - but the very particular owners (Canadians) have 3 or 4 beautiful cabins on their small coffee plantation. Grounds and cabins are immaculate - with the high quality bed/linens you mention. Owners are extremely knowledgeable about the area and will give you all the info you need and help you set up activities. There is no restaurant on premises, but with notice owners will prepare a lovely dinner for you and deliver it to your cabin - complete with flowers and candlelight.

Plus there are a few nice restaurant choices in around Boquete.

Mentioned in this post
Boquete
Boquete
Chiriqui Province, Panama
panama
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Panama - help with preliminary planning

Mountains

Isla Verde in Boquete - www.islaverdepanama.com - is quite nice. I've stayed there a few times & it should work for you.

Beach

check out vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…8945 for Panama - there are a number of private homes/villas for rent in the Bocas area & on the Pacific side that suite you.

Ron

Mentioned in this post
Boquete
Boquete
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Panama - help with preliminary planning

Panama City - besides the Bristol you might look at the Hotel DeVille - I actually like their rooms more - not as "heavy" in design. Great restaurant there too - Bistro 10. Actually just around the corner from the Bristol on a quieter street.

Mountains - one of the nicest places in Boquete is the Palo Alto Riverside Inn - right on the river with only 6 very nice suites. Coffee Estates Inn, as mentioned, is also a good choice - bit further away from the town. Not "luxury" but for an unforgettable experience (I have sent many "high-end" clients there), is Los Quetzales Lodge near Bambito - they have cabins right up in the cloud forest - no electricity but gas lights, fridge and stove - they will bring meals up from the lodge for you. Even one night here would be an experience of a lifetime.

Beach - as mentioned VRBO has some decent options - look for villas in Buenaventura - the beach is great and there are some villas right on the beach with a pool. There are restaurants nearby anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes away.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Boquete
Boquete
5. Re: First time to Panama - help with preliminary planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 06:16