We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Trip Advice

Herradura, Costa...
Level Contributor
321 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Second Trip Advice

My husband and I are planning a second trip to Panama. We went once in December 2007, and packed a lot into our time there (see: http://haskellfamily.blogspot.com/2007/12/panama-trip-bliss.html).

We want to see some different things while there this time. We are very into nature, wildlife and animals/birds and want to see as much of that as possible while in Panama. We will be travelling with our nephew as well, so the ages of everyone travelling are 38,32, and 24. We are all in good shape for whatever suggested. I am also obsessed with photography and love opportunities that allow me to build that in to the trip.

Any advice about the trip would be great. I was thinking about the Darien, but know it can be dangerous and would rather save that for a trip when my nephew will not be present, as his mother would kill me if we were abducted or something, LOL.

Thanks in advance.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Trip Advice

A couple of places that might be of interest - in Cerro Punta/Bambito area in Chiriqui - look at the Jungle Cabins at Los Quetzales - right up in the cloud forest and they have great guides to show you the wildlife etc. with some decent hiking in and around the area.

For Darien - if you go with a company like Ancon then you will be fine - to go on your own look at something like http://sambuhausedarienpanama.com/ - from there you can do trips safely to see the Darien.

Another incredibly picturesque area is Coiba - you can do day trips and longer out of Santa Catalina - once out at the islands, it's some of the most incredible scenery I've seen in over 25 years of globetrotting. Ideal for snorkeling,diving or just exploring the beaches and islands.

All these areas would offer incredible photo ops.

Cheers,

Andrew

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Trip Advice

If you go to Darien, Ancon might be a good choice for tour agency. They have been doing this tour for years and own the eco lodge that you overnight in.

Isla Barro Colorado in Gatun lake. It is part of the Smithsonian Tropical Institute. You must make reservations way in advance.

San Blas islands for indian culture and snorkling.

Pearl Islands, check out Hacienda del Mar's web site.

Coiba is a fun trip.

If you go back to David (fly and rent the car in David) and drive 20 minutes out to Playa La Barqueta, (black sand beach with waves)you can stay there and use it as a home base for exploring, mountains, Boca Brava islands, trip to Coiba, kayaking in mangroves, fishing trips, surfing/boogie boarding/paddle boarding on the beach.

3. Re: Second Trip Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 05:17