We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

Virginia, USA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

We are renting a house and like to cookout. I don't know what the beef in Panama tastes like so would like to bring down some US beef. We did this in Costa Rica and it went great, as the beef in Costa Rica is terrible.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

If you lie on the customs form you need to fill out; and lie if customs questions you, you could try to bring it. I don't like to mess with customs or regulations. Eat the pork, it is wonderful in Panama and the fish is soooooo fresh !

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

As LN states learn to eat fish in Panama, it is fresh and cheap, they do search luggage sometimes in customs on your way out so if you try to sneek it in and get caught expect to pay a big fine (propina) to make things right plus the customs guys will be enjoying your steak

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

Not sure about the rest of the country but I know that Panama City and Bocas Del Toro both have a store called Super Gourmet that sell American steaks and other goodies. I am sure David and Boquete must have the same style places because of the retires.

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Super Gourmet
Super Gourmet
373 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
David
David
Chiriqui Province, Panama
Boquete
Boquete
Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

Hey Nas, you can buy wonderful steaks at Pricesmart in David, and I think there's one in PC also, in Bocas the Tropical Market as well as Super Gourmet sells good steaks. As in Costa, most of the beef in Panama tastes like shoe leather.

Mentioned in this post
David
David
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Super Gourmet
Super Gourmet
373 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

With the local beef - stick to the cut known locally as FILETE. Basically this is the tenderloin and once you get rid of the silverskin it's pretty tasty and usually very tender. It doesn't have a lot of marbling as the cows walk around too much - that's why the other cuts are tough.

I like the flavor of the local beef as it's mostly range fed and not pumped full of hormones like most US beef.

There's a gourmet meat shop at the end of Calle 50 in Panama City that brings in USDA Prime/Choice cuts plus other gourmet meats like ostrich. and as previously mentioned PriceSmart in Panama City and David carries US meats - but I have found the quality to be a bit erratic - sometimes great and sometimes not good at all.

Panama is pretty fussy about not allowing fresh meat to be brought in so as to protect the local meat producers from disease etc - and even packed in your checked luggage there's a good chance it will be found as they X-ray all bags on leaving customs.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
David
David
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama CZ
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

I was just a the Reba Smith supermarket and they had imported Angus beef, but we've had very good luck with meat from Reba Smith, Pricesmart, and Rey Supermarkets. The beef has a different flavor than the feedlot hormone loaded meat, but I think in a good way. My advice - eat local. Chicken, fish, beef and pork are great.

Panama CZ
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

I was just a the Reba Smith supermarket and they had imported Angus beef, but we've had very good luck with meat from Reba Smith, Pricesmart, and Rey Supermarkets. The beef has a different flavor than the feedlot hormone loaded meat, but I think in a good way. My advice - eat local. Chicken, fish, beef and pork are great.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

I'm not so sure the Panamanian Govt. is protecting from disease, rather than Berard Bros protecting themselves from American Competition.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

AND rightly so !

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I bring frozen meat(beef) from the US into Panama

I don't think an over regulated economy is good for Panama, or Panamanians,God knows there's a huge amount of cheap Chinese goods in the stores here.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America