We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap auto purchase.

Cocoa Beach
13 posts
Save Topic
Cheap auto purchase.

Anyone have experience purchasing an inexpensive car to accomodate a 6 month temporary relocation in any part of Panama? If one was going to contemplate permanent expatriation to Panama, and play it smart and relocate for 6 months and explore, even the rental of an ecomomy car would be too high an expense. How about some advise on how to buy a reasonably priced used car, and what parts of the country would offer the best deals. Is insurance mandatory to take title to a vehicle in Panama or does money talk? If you decided to head back home, you could sell it to a friend for a song.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

used cars are not cheap in Panama, importing one is a giant expensive hassle

Rent a car and take busses txis until you decide where you want to be

Check out Yahoo forums on Panama for more in depth answer

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

Finding a good "cheap" used car is the problem too. Anything "cheap" will

not be a good car. I agree with CDY. Buses are cheap to get around.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

You can find cheap cars - if it's something just to bash around in for 6 months... There are lots of used car lots in Panama City - there is a cluster in the Los Angeles area of the city and they are found all over - certainly better to buy in Panama City, for choice if nothing else... Prices will not be low like the States but you can get something reasonable-ish.

You can also check out www.encuentra24.com - they have a lot of autos for sale online.

3rd party liability insurance is now mandatory and necessary for the title change and the annual revision for plate renewal. It runs about $150 a year for the basic coverage - and you can change the name over to the new owner if you sell.

Once you do relocate permanently - certain visas allow import of a vehicle without paying import duties (you will still pay the value-added tax which will soon be 7%).

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

I should have said, finding a cheap used car won't be easy if you don't speak Spanish.............that might be a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Spanish by the River-Boquete
Spanish by the...
41 Reviews
Boquete, Panama
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

If you don't speak Spanish or don't have a friend who is a local to help you - forget it. Grringos tend to get seperated from their money very easily, the price wil go up as soon as they hear you speaking english.

Know some people who have done OK, but know a number of others who have gotten flleced, sometimes there are ex-pats selling their cars, they tend to post on the yahoo groups, might be a better choice if you have limited language skills.

Mentioned in this post
Spanish by the...
41 Reviews
Boquete, Panama
Cocoa Beach
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks for all your feedback. English or Spanish, I think I can handle delicate negotiations as long as the seller knows that, what I'm holding in my right hand in my pocket is CASH. Plus, I've been a mechanic for 40 years and know what to look for. If anyone else out there is trying to derive some wisdom from this thread, use the advise proferred here along with my advise which is to buy a Make and Model that is popular in Panama. If someone wants to pass on the most widespread dealer networks in Panama besides Toyota, Suzuki, Hyundae, Honda, etc those would be the smartest purchases. You always have to have parts availability even if you can do it yourself on the repairs.....see you in Panama

Mentioned in this post
Spanish by the...
41 Reviews
Boquete, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

Well, seems you had the answer all along! Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

I believe Platinum Motors is the largest used car showroom in PC, they have several lots. I bought a Hondai Galloper there 6 years ago and had to put a new motor in it within a year, so be careful. Old Hondai's are very unreliable.

9. Re: Cheap auto purchase.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 07:17