We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

White Salmon...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

We are looking to plan a trip to Panama in Oct-Nov and don't know where to start! We are two adults with an infant who will be eight months old. We want to be on a beach, hope to have some surfing/other recreation opportunity (mostly for the husband), good food, nice place to stay, relaxing. We're just starting to research but are feeling like it's coming up quickly so would appreciate thoughts. Kind of leaning toward Bocas del Toro???

Thanks!!!!

Escuela del Mar Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Mono Loco Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Day Trips
Coral Surfing Day Tours
Bocas Surf School & Hostel
Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

Bocas, in my opinion has the most varied and best selection of places to mstay, eat and have fun in all of Costa Rica or Panama. In Nov. the surf is up too, with more swells......rights, lefts, big ,small, shore break, off shore reef breaks and barrels than almost anywhere. C'mon down!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Austin
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

I love the staff & personal attention you get at Cala Mia. It's off the beaten path and very relaxing, with great food.

Also recommended is Tranquilo Bay for family friendly entertainment, and plenty of water activities. Feel free to post any questions & I'll be glad to reply,

Barbara

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

I dont' think you are supposed to put insect repellent on babies less than a year, are you? So be sure to purchase some Avon Skin So Soft (the bath oil, NOT the kind they sell as a spray in a can) in the U>S> before you travel here to put on the infant. No see-ums and mossies can be out at different times of year at the beach, especially, and you don't want your baby bitten so take precautions. The no see ums get caught in the oil before they can bite you.

Edited: 05 October 2010, 13:48
Corvallis, Oregon...
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

For Bastimentos John...I guess Trip Advisor doesn't allow us to contact someone directly, though I recall that I have in the past. I just can't figure out how to write to you. I have been browsing old posts and much of yours has been helpful. I am planning my trip to Panama, arriving Xmas Day for two weeks. I know some of the places I'll most likely go, but am trying to find a place for New Year's Eve and days either just before or after or both...then I can plan the rest of the trip. New Year's Eve finds most places booked. I wonder if you're able to share the name of your lodging, and others that you could recommend to a single 50 something female non smoker. Thank you. Judi in Oregon...

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

BastimentosJohn hasn't posted in months (if you look on his contributions) so he may no longer be a contributor. I would go ahead and look on the Bocas forums as there has been much much discussion and interest in Bocas. We have some really great helpers in that area.

A word to you, however, if you haven't already booked for Christmas period you may not have alot of choice as to where you can stay.....most places will already be full as it seems the entire world comes to Panama at Christmas PLUS many Panamanians vacation during this period away from the city also. Good luck.

6. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 14:23
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

Just my two cents to the above post - which is very good,

To clarify - busses are fine outside the city - in PC take taxis, the Diablo Rojos in the city - the old school busses are terrible - they are cheap but you get waht you pay for ( 25 cents)- also lots of scammers ride them - try to relieve you of your wallet - pickpockets basically.

They make the busses in Managua look luxurious.

Also - I think 3 nights in Boquette might be 1 night too much - just my opinion depends what you like to do.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

Bocas Del Toro is the best place to visit if you're planning to spend a vacation in Panama. Its a place where you can truly unwind and enjoy amazing around the island. If you're a traveling surfer, you don't want to miss Isla Colon! You can check out http://bocastravel.com/ and find the activities you can enjoy while staying at this wonderful place.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Colon
Isla Colon
Bocas del Toro Province, Panama
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

Thanks, Surfer. The original poster has been and gone to Panama since he/she states the trip was planned for Oct/Nov, but I am sure it may help someone else in planning a trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for help to plan a one-week Panama trip

Sorry, I didn't check the post date. Thanks :)