We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental?

Massachusetts
4 posts
Save Topic
car rental?

We're renting a car in February, so which car rental company is most reliable? And 4X4 is needed! Many thankls!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental?

All the major chains are represented at the Panama City airport. You know them all.

You may save some money by booking online in advance.

We used Thrifty, I believe. Worked out fine. We walked out on Dollar because we got there and despite having a reservation they didn't have a car. They had to bring it from across town - we said "no thanks".

Remember you must by the car insurance or they won't rent to you. The collision is optional if your credit card pays for it. Check first though.

PANAMA
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental?

I would recomend you to call in advance the major car rental agencies. In Panama there is Summer and the Carnivals are on Feb.25 to 28, so 4x4´s availability will be limited. Tell them that you will pick up the car at the airport offices, that are located just outside the aduanas and inmmigration desk.

Don´t arrive to the airport without making the reservation. Maybe you will get an economy car, not the one you want!!! The car rental agencies carry the major car brands: Toyota, Nissan, etc.

Here are some phone numbers from the Panamanian yellow pages:

Thrifty: (507)264-2613 main office or (507)238-4955 airport office

Hertz:(507)260-2111 or (507)264-1111

Budget:(507)263-8777

Another recommendation is to ask for all insurance coverage.

Massachusetts
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental?

Thanks to Johann & sandra, and HYBISCUS for the good advice for rental cars. Also I need directions from the Airport to the Avalon Grand Panama Hotel?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental?

Driving in Panama is not easy and directions are extremely difficult to obtain from here, especially if you don't know the city. If you are adventurous and want to rent or know the city, the rental office will help better. BTW, why are you staying at the AVALON? I would advice against that hotel, far away from the city, not on the beach, not a good reputation. Consider other options depending on your plans.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental?

From Tocumen International Airport:

Take Tocumen Highway to the Transistmian Highway.

Continue west to the Avalon Grand Panama.

Driving in Panama is pretty easy outside of the cities. The roads can have potholes and aren't well-lit for night driving, and of course, all the signs are in Spanish. However, we didn't have any trouble.

Driving in Panama City is an absolute no-no, though. What mania. We ended up just parking on the outskirts of town at a hotel and taking a taxi into town. That was the way to go for sure.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental?

That's exactly what I meant, driving in Panama city. The main airport highway (Ricardo J. Alfaro) should take you past Los Pueblos and Villa Lucre. Turn right just before San Miguel Arcangel Hospital onto Transistmica highway (Simon Bolivar). Follow this road to Avalon. This map should help:

www.ilisa.com/panama/map-bird-ey-big.htm

Airport is on the lower right (southeast) and Avalon is under "Camping Resort" name, middle-upper-left (north) portion of the map.

Massachusetts
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental?

Thanks to Johann & Sandra again, especial thanks for tupapi show me that fantastic map in Panama City, this is made life is so easy!