We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for people living in Panama City

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for people living in Panama City

Hello, my boyfriend and I are planning to move to Panama City in a couple of month. We want to go for at least a month before we move, to check out the city and look for business and investment opportunities. We are looking for a fully furnished appartment for a short term rental (with linen, pots and pans, the whole kit!) in the city or near, 1 bedroom and 1.5 bathroom. Is it possible to have that for a maximum of 1 200$/month? And is all that possible in a long term rental, like 1 or 2 years?

Also, are the appartment ''cat friendly''? We have a cat and want to bring her along with us when we move there.

Thanks everybody. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for you in the next couple of weeks. :)

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

You could check out www.flipkey.com, www.panamapremierrentals.com

and www.panamastays.com, www.panamarentalsolutions.com, http://4rentpanama.com/

as well as VRBO.com

For a short stay also:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294480-d305426…

Hopefully someone can answer regarding the price, but you can get started with the above. There is a huge procedure to bring a cat here.......and one has to start it just so many days prior to bringing an animal here. There are tight restrictions, and an attorney smoothing your way for his would be best. You don't want your pet to be quarantined at the airport - the accommodations are horrible!

Good luck.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

Wow thank you so much for the infos!

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

You will be hard pushed to find a fully furnished apartment for $1,200 - most 1 BR go for at least $1800, 2 BR for $2000 and up. Especially only for one month, the price will be higher.

For a long term rental with partially furnished - i.e. appliances and maybe some furniture, you might find a place for $1,200 but it wouldn't be in any of the central areas, it would be out of the city center a bit.

Some apartments allow pets, others don't. If your cat isn't used to high floor apartment living, be careful - we lost two overboard the 14th floor balcony!!!

Be sure to check on all the necessary importation paperwork - it's a bit complicated as there are strict timing issues with when certain paperwork and necessary vaccinations are done prior to arrival in Panama - and plan your arrival for "office hours" so as to avoid delays and extra payments or even need to have your pet kept at the airport until the next day.

Cheers,

Andrew

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

Hello Andrew!

Thank you so much for the information. For the 1 month rental, I wouldnt mind paying a bit more.

For the long term rental, wich area would you recommend? We wont have a car so we need to be near a grocery store, restaurants etc...

Thanks for the info on the cat. I looked at the info we need from the vet but for the import form, do we get that at Panama City airport or could I get it in my airport in Montreal?

It might be a silly question, but is there window screen? I dont want to be watching over my shoulder each time we'll have the windows open... wich will be all the time!!! Unless of course we have the AC :)

Thank you for the infos you gave me, it helps a lot!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

As I stated earlier, bringing a pet is very involved. It is not that simple. I would suggest you contact an attorney to assist you with this. The forums you need to bring with you have to have correct timing from your country.......here is some information that was valuable for us from our attorney.

One cannot do the paperwork too too early as the papers for entry into Panama have to have been filled out within 30 days of entry here. We brought our Havanese( dog) here recently to love.

From the U.S. we first had our vet examine the dog, and fill out the USDA health certificate; the certificate had to then be notorized before being sent to the U.S.D.A. After the US Department of Agriculture stamped approval, the papers were then sent back to us and then to the government embassy in Washington D.C. to be apostillized and sent back to us for entry into Panama. Our attorney in Panama City then arranged for the vets to be at the airport for our arrival which was after 10:00 PM at night to allow our dog entry and to then be "home quarantined" for a number of days (which is nothing really. We paid one vet from the Ministry of Agriculture $16.00 cash and the other vet from the Ministry of Health $130. cash at the airport upon arrival to produce the papers to leave the airport with the dog that night.

Our lawyer here in Panama had many e-mails back and forth with us with instructions and questions prior to coming to Panama and she is the one who arranged for the vets to be at the airport for our late night flight arrival. I was worried, believe me, even though she assured me the vets would be there, as I know if the animal does not have all the papers, they keep the pet there (in their own small carry-on bag) overnight or until you can get the papers in order (which could be days or more). You can't even take the pet to the bathroom before they would impound the pet. My worry was alleviated when I saw the vets actually looking for us upon arrival! We left with our pet; but I am sure you understand the anxiety as this is our "baby" - and 11 years old!

The best thing is to have a lawyer assist you in having all in order for your doggie. Don't take any chances-it is your PET! They are very strict here about this.

If you don't have an attorney or if you attorney does not handle this and you don't feel assured; please PM me. I will then give you the name and contact of our attorney in Panama City and she is very efficient (and not expensive), speaks perfect English .

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this! :) We have a baby cat and I just cant leave her here, I'm sure you understand! I dont know if the rules from Canada will be different but I will be in touch with a lawyer thats for sure.

Thank you again so much!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

I KNOW mine is reliable and that is important. SO if you don't have one, I also know horrible stories about attorneys that don't get the job done. That is how I know how deplorable the "quarantine" area of the airport is. PM me if you want my attorneys info and good luck. Just make sure where you research, it is up to date!

8. Re: Questions for people living in Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2012, 09:20