We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama to Costa Rica Itinerary Help

Calgary, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Panama to Costa Rica Itinerary Help

We (my boyfriend and I) have booked a flight into Panama City March 6 and fly out of Liberia March 22. It is only 16 days so we are having trouble deciding what all to do. So far we intend to visit:

Panama City (2-3 days)

Bocas del Toro

Puerto Viejo

Tamarindo

Can anyone make any recommendations for itinerary; ie timing, methods of travel, tours/activities. We are definitely interested in beach time, but we also want to do some diving, cloud/rainforest tours, hiking, and/or other sightseeing. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama to Costa Rica Itinerary Help

You should consider a dive trip around Coiba Island. It is a World Hertiage Site. There are dive operations in Santa Catalina or Boca Chica.

When in Panama City, the hike on Isla Barro Colorado, if it is not already sold out. smithsonian limits the visitors to this research site.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama to Costa Rica Itinerary Help

We have been to Costa Rica twice, just returning three weeks ago. You are not going to have any time to spare. You don't get anywhere fast in CR. You are leaving alot of interesting places out of your itinerary. A stop in Manuel Antoinio National Park is on your way .... you make it your beach day. Quite lovely there. There is a place called Rainmaker up the road. It is in the rainforest. Quite a hike, well worth it. You could stop in Jaco for some shopping. There is a Tarcoles Crocodile Tour from there, is fun. Take the ferry across the Gulf of Nicoya. I have heard Samara is worth a look see. I personally don't think Tamarindo is that great. If you stop in Jaco it is about the same. By now you will be pooped and want to go somewhere to relax...If you fit this in all this stuff in 16 days...you are amazing. Have Fun and Good Luck

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama to Costa Rica Itinerary Help

Hey Daisy, I live and run a small resort in the bocas del Toro area so I am naturally biased to our little piece of Paradise. I get a lot of people coming the other way from Puerto Viejo to Bocas that tell me "we should have come here 1st." There are 4 to 6 flights daily from PC to Bocas so getting here is no problem. Of all the beachy areas in both Costa and Panama, Bocas has more to offer including great surfing, diving, boat touring of our hundreds of Islands, Zip-Line Canopy tour,cave exploring, nature viewing, bar hopping, nite life etc etc. The prices for all these including lodging are cheaper than all the other places you have named. It is a short bus ride to Puerto Viejo from Bocas, fiv e hour bus ride to San Jose and a short flight to Tamarindo from San Jose

4. Re: Panama to Costa Rica Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 20:18