We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Plainsboro, New...
Level Contributor
243 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

hi there,

Its time again to start planning our next trip. We are a family of 4, 2 kids aged 8 & 9 years. Love the beach & a little bit if culture/history.

For 3 years, we did beach vacations to Mexico, Jamaica & the DR.

Then this January, we did a 10 day trip covering Guatemala & Honduras. We flew to Guatemala City, travelled to Antigua, went on to Copan for 2 days & then the final leg which took us by road to la Ceiba & ferry to Roatan. So the boys are fairly well travelled.

This time, we are thinking of covering Panama & Columbia. The initial plan is to fly to Panama City, see the canal & the indian villages, & maybe fly to Bocas del Toro for a couple of days(5 days in Panama). Then fly to Columbia for 3-4 days & then fly back home. Has anyone follwed this itenary? (5 days). I was wondering how we should spilt our time between Panama City & BDT? How easy are the connections between the cities on our itenary? Any other places that could be an option- David or Colon. I was wondering how easy the connections between the cities are? Anything to be kept in mind for the kids? Last but not least, 2 of us are vegetarians, so was wondering about meal options. So far, we have not had a problem anywhere we have gone.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

There are usually 4 flights per day from Panama City to Bocas - 1 hour flight - so getting to and from BdT isn't a huge problem. Check out:

www.flyairpanama.com

www.aeroperlas.com

for flight schedules and even make your bookings online.

Just doing the two places over the 5 days makes sense.

Wouldn't worry about Colon or David on this trip - just focus on the sights around Panama City and then some beach/watersports time in BdT.

While you won't find a lot of vegetarian restaurants, you will almost always finds vegetarian options - lots of fresh fruit and salads - outside of Panama City will be tougher - you won't find a lot of tofu dishes for example.

Hope this helps,

Andre

Plainsboro, New...
Level Contributor
243 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Andre- Thank you- thats what I had figured- that if we have 5 days- we could probably do 2 nights in Panama City & 2 in BDT. Anything in particular we must see in Panama- other than the canal & the Indian Villages? I believe the canal full day tour is only on Saturdays & the indian village tour is a one day affair from the city? Then on day 3, we could fly to BDT. Already dreaming;-)

Thanks,

Manasi

Plainsboro, New...
Level Contributor
243 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Just noticed that I mis-spelt your name- sorry Andrew!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Not to mention it is Colombia not Columbia - but no worries -- just thought I would point it out before you spelled it wrong on a Colombian forum.

Where in Colombia? with only a few days I would assume Cartagena - bewarned though flight prices between Colombia and Panama are steep - not sure why since it is not a big distance but expect to pay 400 - $550 RT depending on where you are going -

After a week in Panama you might like to cool off - a trip to Bogota would do that - about 6-7000 feet.

Plainsboro, New...
Level Contributor
243 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

CDY- thanks for pointing it out- somehow after all the reading on the forums & checking airfare, I did not tune into the mis-spelt name. If the airfare is that expensive, then we will probably stick to just one country, though the road travel between Guatemala & Honduras was not too tough. I will post whatever we decide;-)

Thanks,

Manasi

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Hi Manasi!

I came across your post. My husband and I wanna do Panama-Colombia in Feb 2012...also for 10 days. How did your trip go?

Thanks,

Ann

Plainsboro, New...
Level Contributor
243 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Ann- we actually did Panama-Colombia-Costa Rica in 9 days with one 1 day in Nicaragua! The split was 1 day in Panama(Canal, Old City & we didn't go anywhere else), 3 days in Cartagena(absolutely stunning), 4th day flying to Costa Rica from Colombia through Panama City again & then 5 days in Costa Rica(I did a one day morning-evening Nicaragua tour) before coming home. 10 days should certainly be enough for 2 countries. I have reviewed everything we did- you can certainly write back with more questions. My favorate was Colombia;-) for the history & Costa Rica for the wildlife. Whatever you choose to do- can't go wrong;-)

Manasi

7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Avoid columbia

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

Avoid columbia the food sucks don't feel safe beaches suck sorry lack of better word I'd u have been to Jamaica beaches or dr forget columbian beaches

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Panama-Columbia in 10 days?

If you are going to tell someone to avoid Colombia you should at least know how to spell it correctly