We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and out of the way quality resturants

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping and out of the way quality resturants

We will be in Panama at the end of March for 7 days. We are staying at the Westin. I am looking for some ideas for the following:

1. open air markets with local artisan's and vendors that sell everything from art to hot sauce.

2. scuba diving operators that have a good reputation Pacific side

3. A day sail on a cat to and island for the day. We have taken this type of sail on several islands in the carribean. We will be on the Pacific side.

4. Resturants with a view and good cevic'e.

And anything else you can think of.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and out of the way quality resturants

1. For open air markets, go to El Valle. For Kuna, Waunan and Emberra artisans, go to the Mercado Artisania on Balboa Ave. in Balboa and the old YMCA builidng in Balboa, just a few blocks away. Good quality and good prices on molas, tagua, cocobolo and basketry.

2. Check Scubaboard. Do a search for Coiba. I haven't had the luxury, yet, of taking two days for just travel between Panama and Santa Catalina, so I haven't dove Coiba ... yet. You won't find any decent diving on the Pacific side within a few hours of the city. Portobelo, on the Caribbean, is the closest diving at 90 minutes away. Recommended dive operator is Scubapanama. They also do Pacific dives off Taboga and Las Perlas, but I think you'll choke when they tell you the price.

3. Sorry, I can't help you with this one.

4. Best ceviche is at the fish market. Best views are from the restaurants and bars on Amador. But, in most, the food doesn't match the view.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and out of the way quality resturants

Go early if you go to the YMCA building...........as it is not air cond and I found it absolutely stifling in the afternoon.

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and out of the way quality resturants

Go to the end of the Causeway - behind Benigans there is a marina - next to the marina is an outdoor restaurant with lots of tables and a samll bar with a roof - the ceveiche is very goos the beer is cold and pretty nice views of the marina - very popular with locals.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Shopping and out of the way quality resturants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 10:18