We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to causeway

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to causeway

In general how much is a taxi to the cause way from downtown, congrejo etc.?

munich
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to causeway

hi,

well, if you stumble upon a decent taxi driver, he should not charge you more than 4-5 bucks, depending on the time you are going, though. if it's rush-hour, they might charge more. in any case, they should not charge more than 6-7 bucks. if you want a little adventure, you can also take a bus ;-).

saludos

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi to causeway

At night can be higher, if it is raining, if they peg you for a naive tourist - lots of variables - always ask before getting in - you don't want a surprise when you arrive at your destination.

But from Cangrejo district ( Via Espana y Via Veneto to the Causeway)

$5-7 would be reasonble - especially if you are going to the far end of the causeway.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to causeway

He last time I was in the city (Xmas) the rates had gone up which is why I ask. Just from Alllbroke airport to the bus terminal wa 2.50 and that was the real rate.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to causeway

Yep, they may have gone up because gas has also gone up.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
34 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi to causeway

It depends, taxi drivers know there are standard rates but most tourists don't and even I as a local was "bitten" once.

The taxi from the causeway to El Cangrejo should in theory NOT cost you more than $3.00 but you may be charged $5.00 but NEVER pay more than that.

Don't bother to leave tips to the taxi driver or you will encourage them to charge more to both locals and tourists.

Have to be carefull too, ask him to take you via ALBROOK rather than any other way. I was distracted talking to my foreign friend and the driver took us through the bad neighbourhood. It happened in a flash at the traffic light, someone came from outside (another person far on the left spotted us and signalled him), he put his hands through the window and stole my golden necklace. The taxi accelerated but I retrospective I think he did it on purpose.

Never trust taxi drivers in Panama. NEVER sit in front, NEVER use your mobile phone if you have a Blackberry or some other smartphone and be EXTRA CAREFUL if some other man gets in...

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi to causeway

And avoid wearing gold chains - here in Colombia that would be called giving papaya. Can happen to locals and tourists alike, but if you are clearly a non-local don't wear anything that stands out, last time a tourist was shot here in Medellin, German guy wearing a gold chain, stopped at a traffic light in a decent part of town, a guy reached in gabbed the chain, German did not give it up, he got shot and killed. My advice to tourist in any part of Latin America and lots of parts of the US - don't have anything on you that you are willing to fight over - just give it up.

And follow degt's advice regarding safety in taxis,

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi to causeway

Scary stuff, but not ALL taxi drivers are crooks.Not always pratical but, we had a list of several trustworthy english speaking taxi drivers that for planned trips we could get one of them to drive us. for first time in 30 years we didn't wear our wedding rings :(

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi to causeway

You are correct not all are crooks - but when grabbing a cab in the street just follow the above advice - if you know the driver - that is a differnt story

9. Re: Taxi to causeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:15